Ways to Get Involved with Augustana
For the many loyal Augustana alumni and friends who are seeking to get better connected with the University, we have created the following list of ideas for you to share your talent and resources as well as display your Viking pride. Thank you for your interest, involvement and love of Augustana.
- Share your love of Augustana with your friends, co-workers and neighbors. Tell them about our Value Proposition.
- Encourage talented young people to visit the campus and apply for admission.
- Take a picture of a gathering of your Augie friends and submit the photo and story to the alumni office for The Augustana magazine. If you are not receiving your issue, please contact News and Information.
- Invite a faculty member or administrator from Augustana to speak at your church or civic group.
- Visit the campus — it is even more beautiful than you remember! Bring a picnic lunch and sit out on the green. Don’t forget your Frisbee.
- Keep in touch with us — update your alumni contact information online.
- Celebrate Christmas with Augustana — attend Vespers and the Bands' Christmas concert. Drive by the campus at night and see the Augustana Christmas tree in all its glory.
- Host the Augustana Band or Choir on tour at your church or other performance venue.
- Help students through your participation in our Success Center. You can post job openings and internships, invite students to job shadow, serve as a mentor, or volunteer to serve as a speaker or presenter with a workshop or symposium.
- Show your Viking spirit with an Augustana sticker on your car, SUV, motorcycle, Vespa, boat, or front door.
- Invite some friend or bring your family to campus to watch a game, attend a concert, play or lecture or enjoy one of the many other activities on campus. Augie offers a multitude of fun and inexpensive entertainment options.
- Worship with us. Chapel services are held every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 10:00 a.m. as well as the campus congregation’s Sunday worship service at 11:00 a.m. during the academic year. People of all faiths are welcome.
- Support us with your financial gifts. Augustana would not exist today without its loyal alumni and friends. (You can make a gift online.)
- Volunteer to be a Class Agent.
- When you meet a current or future Augustana student, ask them about their story and share your favorite Augie memories with them.
- Encourage your church youth director to bring your high school youth to Faith Fest, held on campus in February of each year.
- Invite an Augustana Outreach Ministries team to your church to conduct worship or to lead a youth gathering.
- Get back in touch with an old Augie friend. Or several. Browse the alumni e-mail directory to reconnect. (The alumni directory is password-protected. To receive the log-in information, please e-mail the Alumni Office at email@example.com).
- Find out more about the matching grant program called Parish and College Together (PACT). Augustana may match financial support (up to $500/academic year) to students from your congregation who attend the University. Then organize a scholarship fund drive for Augustana University students who are members of your church.
- Meet a friend for coffee at the Huddle. Eat lunch or dinner in the cafeteria. The atmosphere is lively and the food is even better than you remember.
- Proudly sport your Augie wear. If you need some new stuff, you can shop online.
- Submit information or story ideas for The Augustana magazine.
- Come back for Homecoming!
- Sing the Augustana Alma Mater or Fight Song in the shower.
- Attend your class reunion and encourage other classmates to attend. Help plan your next class reunion by joining the planning committee.
- Attend or help plan an alumni event in your area.
- Grab some yearbooks and some old Augie classmates and spend the evening reminiscing and laughing. It will be good for your soul.
- Nominate alumni for the Alumni Achievement Award, the Alumni Council, the Athletic Hall of Fame and the Board of Trustees.
- If you are not in Sioux Falls, keep your ears open for an Augustana athletic event or performance in your area.
- Attend the annual Peace Prize Forum, an annual gathering hosted in the Midwest to dialogue about the dynamics of peacemaking.
- Take a moment to think about your time at Augustana. What are some of your favorite memories? What do you love most about Augustana — then and now?
- Visit our beautiful, renovated Mikkelsen Library.
- Reconnect with one of your former professors.
- Take advantage of your employer’s matching gift program.
The decals are available for a $50 gift that will contribute to the Augustana Fund and support student scholarships, alumni programming and more! Organization plates are available to anyone in South Dakota with a non-commercial vehicle.
Order an Augustana University class ring!
For over a century Augustana graduates have carried on a tradition of academic excellence and service to others. They are prepared to meet the challenges of career and family to share their skills and talents with others. The Augustana University tradition is grounded in a very real spirit of community that creates in its students a strong feeling of belonging and a vital sense of loyalty to the University.
Augustana Class Rings symbolize that spirit of community. It is a tangible reminder of the ideas and ideals which are so important to an Augustana student. The beauty, style and craftmanship of the ring collection make a fitting tribute to the achievement of an Augustana graduate.
Rings come in small (women's) and large (men's) and in 10K, 14K, or 18K gold. A 10K or 14K white gold ring is also available. You can also have your graduation year on the sides of the ring have your full name or initials engraved inside the ring.
Current prices range from $542-$1,076.
Call the Augustana Bookstore at 605.274.4417
Order online at through Herff-Jones.
- written by Richard Svanoe, class of '38
- performed by Augustana Choir (1.29 MB)
Augustana, we sing out thy praises,
|We cherish thy aims and traditions,
To thee we will ever be true,
As we march on through life,
We'll let love o'ercome strife,
Thanking God, Augustana, for you.
|Fight on for Augustana,
Fight on to victory.
Bear out the old traditions
Of the Vikings of the Sea!
Rah! Rah! Rah!
|Fight on for Augustana
Fight on ye Vikings bold,
Fight on for your alma mater,
Augustana Blue and Gold!