Exercise and Sport Sciences
Students in the Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences (ESS) have five majors from which to choose:
- Athletic Training is accredited by Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). Most recent CAATE certificate awarded March 6, 2009, and the next comprehensive review will occur in the 2017-18 academic year. All of our graduates are eligible for certification through passing the Board of Certification. Many go on to become members of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA).
- Exercise Science gives students a scientific understanding of exercise and its effect on the body. Our program meets accreditation standards set by American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).
- Fitness Management combines exercise science courses with business courses in a curriculum endorsed by ACSM.
- Physical Education prepares students for teaching kindergarten through high school (K-12) physical education. Our program is endorsed by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the South Dakota Department of Education.
- Sport Management is designed according to the National Sports Medicine Organization criteria and combines the strengths of various departments at Augustana, including communications, marketing (business administration with an emphasis in marketing), and journalism.
Find out more about active learning in the ESS department.