Studying Off Campus
From Dublin to New Delhi to Drury Lane, the world opens up to you through the study of literature at Augustana.
Our English and journalism students have many study abroad opportunities because our professors are heavily involved in teaching overseas. In past years, our faculty members have taken students on the path that Leopold Bloom walked in Dublin in James Joyce’s classic modern novel Ulysses, to sites in London frequented by writers from Shakespeare to Salman Rushdie and to shrines in India central to the Indian epics Ramayana and Bhagavad Gita.
Closer to home, Sioux Falls is the cultural center of South Dakota, with many opportunities to participate in readings and other literary activities off campus. Students can take field trips to nearby sites that are prominent in national and regional literature, including South Dakota’s Native American reservations.
Off-campus internships are required for at least a semester for all journalism majors and are encouraged for English majors. The department works closely with each student to find the experience that will advance his or her professional goals.
Recent internship locations have included:
- San Diego Union Tribune
- Tucson Weekly
- Gillette (Wyoming) News Record
- Sleepy Eye (Minnesota) Herald Dispatch
- Minneapolis-St. Paul magazine
- Experience Life magazine.
- Broadcast media:
Government and nonprofit organizations:
- Lutheran News Service (Chicago)
- Families USA (Washington, D.C.)
- American Coalition for Ethanol
- American Cancer Society
- National Kidney Foundation
- Avera McKennan
- Habitat for Humanity
- Home Builders Association
- South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Outdoor Campus
- Senator Tim Johnson (D-SD)
- Senator John Thune (R-SD)
- Senator Mike Enzi (R-WY)
- Representative Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin (D-SD)
Journalism students also participate in internships organized by the Washington Semester program that have included work with USA Today, WRC-TV in Washington D.C., and the Cox News Service, as well as the nonprofit Coalition on Human Needs. Other interns from our department have worked in Norway, Chile, and the Czech Republic.