Studying Off Campus
Internships help our students understand how history lives in the world outside campus.History majors have interned in the United States Congress, the Siouxland Heritage Museum, the Center for Western Studies, The Library of Congress, and more. They have contributed to real-world projects like an organizational history of the National Social Workers Association in South Dakota. Other internships and partnerships include:
- Blue Mounds State Park, Luverne, Minnesota
- USS South Dakota Battleship Memorial, Sioux Falls
- Pettigrew Museum and Home, Sioux Falls
- Gilder Lehrman Institute of America History, New York, N.Y.
- Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage, Washington, D.C.
Also, during January terms and spring breaks, our faculty often lead trips to international sites of historical interest, from Greece to Ireland to El Salvador to Germany to Hawaii. In addition, we encourage students to take advantage of the College’s study abroad programs in Asia, Africa, Europe, or Latin America. Augustana is also a partner in UMAIE. (Upper Midwest Association for Intercultural Education) offering many short-term international experiences during January term.