Careers and Graduate Success in History
More than 1,100 history majors have graduated from Augustana University. Many move on to graduate and professional programs like law school and seminary at universities including Harvard, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Fletcher School of Diplomacy, and the Universities of Chicago, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Texas, and Virginia. Others become high school history and social studies teachers. Still others are librarians, museum curators, archivists, and archaeologists.
Then there are those that use the critical writing and thinking skills in our department to succeed in government service, business, banking, law, ministry, journalism, broadcasting, and more.
A short list of our recent alumni includes:
- Elizabeth Almlie ’08, M.A. candidate in public history, University of South Carolina
- Anna Amundson ’06, Ph.D. candidate, Florida State University
- Kevin Gansz ’96, curator of education, Siouxland Heritage Museums
- Dr. Erik Hinderaker ’81, professor of history, University of Utah
- David Lillehaug ’76, associate justice, Minnesota Supreme Court
- Mollie Madden ’03, Ph.D. candidate in medieval history, University of Minnesota
- Peter Olsen ’05, M.A. candidate in U.S. history, University of Montana
- Amy Protexter ’83, senior vice president and chief marketing and communication officer, Alegent Health, Omaha, Neb.
- Justin Simundson ’08, Ph.D.candidate in U.S. history, Texas Tech University
- Laura Sova ’08, Creighton Law School student
- Robyn Swets ’08, M.A. candidate in U.S. history, University of South Dakota
- Laura Plowman ’07, university librarian, South Dakota State University
- Jessica White ’04, teacher, American College of Sophia, Sophia, Bulgaria