Exercise and Sport Sciences
As an exercise science major, you will have the opportunity to cross train for a variety of graduate school and career opportunities. Your education will be enhanced through work in the lab, internships, volunteer activities and summer research. Our curriculum is endorsed by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).
Students in the Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences (ESS) have five majors from which to choose:
- Exercise Science gives students a scientific understanding of exercise and its effect on the body. Our program meets accreditation standards set by American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).
- Fitness Management can be customized to fit your interests including strength and conditioning, corporate fitness and health promotions. Combine exercise science courses with business courses in a curriculum endorsed by ACSM.
- Health Education is intended as a second major and prepares students for teaching. The Health Education major desiring to pursue teacher certification must also complete all requirements for the All-Grades (K-12) Education major, including student teaching.
- Physical Education prepares students for teaching kindergarten through high school (K-12) physical education. Our program is endorsed by the South Dakota Department of Education.
- Sport Management is designed according to the National Sports Medicine Organization criteria and combines the strengths of various departments at Augustana, including communication studies, business administration, and journalism.
Students can also obtain a minor in Coaching to complement their studies..
Find out more about active learning in the ESS department.