Master of Professional Accountancy
AU students network with professionals from 10 premiere accounting firms September 22, 2017, at the Morrison Commons.
Demand for Certified Public Accountants is on the Rise
According to a Bureau of Labor Statistics forecast, the number of accounting and auditing jobs in the U.S. is expected to increase by 16 percent (190,700 positions) by 2020.
Augustana's master of professional accountancy program is designed as a four-plus-one degree to prepare students to enter the accounting industry.
The first three years of the program will be spent working at the undergraduate level with the fourth year designed as a transitional year with some graduate-level coursework. Students will spend their fifth year working at the graduate level.
Augustana’s master of professional accountancy program is designed to meet the requirements of the Certified Professional Accountant licensing exam in South Dakota and in most other states.
In addition to coursework, internship experiences are woven into the program’s curriculum.
In This Program, You Will Learn to:
- Apply theories of accounting to real-world experiences.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of current issues within the accounting industry.
- Appreciate and understand codifications for the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Demonstrate advanced skills in critical thinking. Students will also be able to choose from a variety of accounting electives that will provide them with specific skills sought by today’s employers.
Why Choose Augustana for Your Master of Professional Accountancy?
- Time: At the end of five years, you will graduate with two degrees: a bachelor's degree and a master's degree and hold the 150 college credits required to sit for the CPA exam.
- Excellence Through Applied Learning: In the Corporate Tax class, for example, students will be required to complete mock tax returns and write tax memorandums. The Audit class will include a mock audit where students will gain the experience of working on a team and the application of the theories they talk about in the classroom.
"This new program will allow students to see the connections between the classroom and the business world."
– Laura Hybertson, CPA and Associate Professor of Business Administration
- Support: You'll receive face-to-face instruction from Augustana's renowned faculty in classes where the average student-to-professor ratio is 12:1.
- Affordability: The program is competitively priced with other regional colleges and universities.
The Master of Professional Accountancy degree is approved by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC).