Choral Ensemble Auditions
There are three choirs at Augustana, and all are open to freshmen through seniors via audition. All three ensembles are known for the quality of their performances, and for the fun and camaraderie that is a hallmark of the choral tradition! Regardless of which group you wish to join, the audition process is the same. Following the audition period, the choral faculties build their ensembles; you will be placed in the ensemble that can most benefit by your participation.
The Choral ensembles appear together throughout the year, as well as separately in concerts, chapel appearances, celebrations and Christmas Vespers. The Vespers program will be "on the road" for the fifth time this year, as we head to Minneapolis, Minnesota, on Friday, Dec. 16. All choral students will be expected to be a part of this exciting opportunity!
- The Augustana Choir has a rich history spanning more than 90 years. Dr. Paul Nesheim, is the fifth conductor in the history of the group. Under Dr. Nesheim's direction, the Augustana Choir brings sacred choral music of the highest caliber to people around the region, nation, and world. The Choir meets Monday through Thursday from 3:55 until 5:10 p.m. The Chamber Choir is a highly selective sub-set of the Augustana Choir. They are directed by Dr. Nesheim, as well, and feature music of all styles, ranging from Renaissance motets to modern vocal jazz.
- Angelus is the name of our women's choral ensemble. Dr. Lisa Grevlos conducts Angelus, a group designed to give voice to the great variety of music written for women's voices. They perform works ranging from the 11th-century chants to compositions by Vivaldi and Brahms, to new works by American and international composers. Angelus is a unique resource in the Sioux Falls area. This sixty-member ensemble is committed to giving concerts of the highest musical excellence. Angelus rehearses Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3:00 - 3:50 p.m.
- University Chorale is conducted by Dr. Russell Svenningsen. In addition to performing in the department choral events, the ensemble is featured in weekly Chapel services as well as in their own springtime concert event. The Chorale joins the Augustana Choir, Angelus and the Orchestra in the annual Christmas Vespers performances. The University Chorale rehearses Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 12:00 - 12:50 p.m.
We invite your audition to become a member of one of our choral ensembles!
Auditions for the Augustana Choirs (Augustana Choir, University Chorale — formerly Collegiate Chorale — and Angelus) will take place Sunday, Aug. 28, through Thursday, Sept. 1.
*All Pro Musica Scholarship recipients must audition for and participate in an Augustana University Choir during any term in which they are drawing scholarship funds.
**Members of the 2015-16 Augustana Choir and those who were chosen for the 2016-17 Augustana Choir in May do not need to do an individual audition this fall. They must, however, be present for the Augustana Choir recall audition for their section on Thursday, Sept. 1.
The audition process consists of:
- “Silent Night, Holy Night” — each singer performs this familiar carol in a comfortable key with the assistance of the conductors.
- Tonal Memory: simple patterns will be played for the singer who will sing them back on a neutral syllable.
- Range Check: each singer will be lead through a series of simple vocal exercises by the conductors.
Students should register online for an audition as early on the schedule as possible. Once you sign up, complete this Audition Form and bring THREE COPIES to your audition.
Sunday, Aug. 28
6:00-8:30pm — Auditions (MEN ONLY), Rm. 136
Monday, Aug. 29
1 - 5 p.m. — Auditions, Rm. 136
6:30 - 8:30 p.m. — Auditions, Rm. 136
Tuesday, Aug. 30
12:30 - 5:30 p.m. — Auditions, Rm. 136
6:30 - 9 p.m. — Auditions, Rm. 136
Wednesday, Aug. 31
9 a.m. -10 a.m. — Auditions, Rm. 136
2 - 5 p.m. — Auditions, Rm. 136
Thursday, Sept. 1
10 - 11 a.m. — Auditions, Rm. 136
Sectional Call-backs (mandatory for those recalled)
Thursday, September 1, HUM 173 (Choir Room)
3:55 p.m., Bass 1 & 2
4:15 p.m., Tenor 1 & 2
4:35 p.m., Alto 1 & 2
4:55 p.m., Soprano 2
5:15 p.m., Soprano 1
NOTE: Members of the three choirs are expected to attend a Choral Retreat on Sept. 16 and 17 at First Presbyterian Church. Details will be given at the first rehearsal.
Please contact Dr. Svenningsen (605.274.5038), email@example.com if you have any questions.
We look forward to hearing your audition and to your participation in our Choral program!