Choral Ensemble Auditions
There are three large choirs at Augustana, and all are open to freshmen through seniors via audition. All three ensembles are known for the quality of their performances, and for the fun and camaraderie that is a hallmark of the choral tradition! Regardless of which group you wish to join, the audition process is the same. Following the audition period, the choral faculty selects the ensembles; you will be placed in the ensemble that can most benefit by your participation.
Augustana’s choirs appear separately and together in concerts, chapel appearances, celebrations and Christmas Vespers. The Vespers program will be "on the road" for the sixth time this year, as we head to Minneapolis, Minnesota, on Friday, Dec. 14. All choral students will be expected to be a part of this wonderful experience!
- The Augustana Choir is a mixed ensemble with a rich history spanning more than 95 years. Dr. Paul Nesheim, is the fifth conductor in the history of the group. Under Dr. Nesheim's direction, the Augustana Choir brings sacred choral music of the highest caliber to people around the region, nation, and world. The Choir meets Monday through Thursday from 3:55-5:10 p.m. The Chamber Choir is a highly selective sub-set of the Augustana Choir. They are directed by Dr. Nesheim, as well, and feature music of all styles, ranging from Renaissance motets to modern vocal jazz. The Chamber Choir rehearses on Mondays and Thursdays from 5:15-6:05 p.m.
- Dr. Lisa Grevlos conducts Angelus, a group designed to give voice to the great variety of music written for the treble voice.. They perform works ranging from the 11th-century chants to compositions by Vivaldi and Brahms, to new works by American and international composers. Angelus is a unique resource in the Sioux Falls area. This fifty-member ensemble is committed to giving concerts of the highest musical excellence. Angelus rehearses Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 3-3:50 p.m.
- University Chorale is conducted by Dr. Russell Svenningsen. In addition to performing in the department choral events, the ensemble is featured in weekly Chapel services as well as in their own springtime concert event. The Chorale joins the Augustana Choir, Angelus and the Orchestra in the annual Christmas Vespers performances. The University Chorale rehearses Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 3-3:50 p.m.
We invite your audition to become a member of one of our choral ensembles!
Audition Information: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
- IMPORTANT: *All Pro Musica Scholarship recipients must audition for and participate in an Augustana University Choir during any term in which they are drawing scholarship funds.
This audition process will include: the Augustana Choir, Univeristy Chorale and Angelus. The Chamber Choir is a small ensemble auditioned from within the Augustana Choir after it has been formed; signing up for an audition on this website does NOT include Chamber Choir.
Sunday, Aug. 26
- 6-8 p.m. — Auditions, HUM 173
Monday, Aug 27
- 6-9 p.m. — Auditions, HUM 173
Tuesday, Aug 28
- 1-5 p.m. — Auditions, HUM 173
- 6:30-9 p.m. — Auditions, HUM 173
Wednesday, Aug 29
- 2-5 p.m. — Auditions, HUM 173
Thursday, Aug 30
- 9:30-10:30 a.m. — Auditions, HUM 173
- 3:55-6:15 p.m. — Augustana Choir Recalls, HUM 173
1. Sign up online for an audition time. Please sign up for only one audition time as early on the schedule as possible.
2. Complete the audition questionnaire PRIOR to your posted audition time and bring three (3) copies to your audition.
3. Auditions will be held in the Humanities Building, Rm. 173 (the Choir Room). Please arrive 10 minutes PRIOR to your audition time.
4. The audition format will be as follows:
- Each singer performs "Silent Night, Holy Night" in a comfortable key accompanied by one of the conductors.
- Range Check: Each singer will be led through vocal exercises to check for range, consistency of tone, timbre and color.
- Tonal Memory: Each singer will be asked to listen to and sing back simple melodic patterns on a neutral syllable.
5. The Augustana Choir recall list will be posted outside the Choral Rehearsal room on Thursday, Aug. 30 by 2 p.m. Those singers listed on the recall list should report to Humanities 173 (the Choir Room) that same day, THURSDAY, AUG. 30, at the times listed below. PLEASE BE 10 MINUTES EARLY.
- 3:55 p.m. Bass 1 & 2
- 4:15 p.m. Tenor 1 & 2
- 4:35 p.m. Alto 2
- 4:55 p.m. Alto 1
- 5:15 p.m. Soprano 2
- 5:35 p.m. Soprano
6. Complete Ensemble rosters will be posted on the conductors' doors by 1 p.m. Friday, Aug. 31.
- Those singers listed on the roster for University Chorale should register for MUSI 095B
- Those singers listed on the roster for Angelus should register for MUSI 095D
- Those singers listed on the roster for The Augustana Choir should register for MUSI 095A
Note: At the discretion of the conductors, singers may be excused from one rehearsal per week due to a conflict with a science lab if no other lab time is available. In such a case, you should contact your conductor for a registration override.
7. Rehearsals begin for ALL Augustana choirs on Tuesday, September 4.
- The Augustana Choir rehearses MTWH 3:55-5:10 in Humanities 173.
- The University Chorale rehearses MTWF 3-3:50 in the CHAPEL.
- Angelus rehearses MTWF 3-3:50 in Humanities 173.
NOTE: Members of the three choirs are expected to attend a Choral Retreat on Friday, Sept. 14, from 6:30-9:00 p.m., and Saturday, Sept. 15, from 9 a.m. to noon.
VIEW the 2018-19 choral calendars.