Highlights, Special Features and Opportunities
Join on-campus organizations like the Augustana Nursing Students Association (ANSA) that link you to a national network of nurses.
- The 2013 graduating class attained a 100 percent pass rate on the NCLEX exam, for the third time in four years. This mean that all 54 graduates passed on the first attempt. This stellar performance exceeded the state and national averages of 90 percent for first time NCLEX testers. Congratulations to the class of 2013 and to the nursing faculty who guided the students through the program.
- Read the letter from the department chair.
- Follow the recent news of the nursing department in their 2014 newsletter.
- With a Quality and Safety Education (QSEN) grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and collaboration with nursing education deans and directors, the nursing department at Augustana was one of only 15 schools in a pilot test program designed to improve success of classroom technology (such as the interactive mannequin).
- The Health Action Model for Partnership in Community is a collaborative community nursing practice model that guides the provision of health services for individuals and families experiencing disconnection from economic, social and interpersonal resources.
- Our Parish Nursing Center prepares registered nurses to meet the holistic health needs within a congregation and assists churches who are interested in starting a parish nursing program.
- Augustana Nursing Department is a member of the South Dakota Chapter of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), a 25-year leader in healthcare reform. As part of the curriculum, the Augstana students complete the IHI video modules related to safety, quality improvement, leadership, interprofessional collaboration, and others. Augastana is among the few nursing programs in South Dakota utilizing this nationally-recognized resource.
- The Registered Nurse in the Partner in Nursing (PIN) is hired to a position that provides an accelerated learning experience for aspiring nurses that is jointly supported by education (Augustana College) and practice (Sanford Health) partners to augment the transition from academia to service.
The PIN Students Nurse:
- partners with Augustana Nursing faculty and the Sanford Clinical Nurse Educator (CNE) during the spring semester of the senior years.
Following graduation and successful NCLEX completion, the PIN Registered Nurse:
- works closely with the CNE during completion of up to five weeks of medical surgical rotation followed by a base clinical rotation.
- attends meetings that cover professional nursing-related topics with a focus on building confidence and sound clinical judgment.
- researches, prepares, and presents nurse-sensitive indicators, and relevant clinical nursing topics.
- is expected to assess and provide competent, safe care for acute care patients.
- works collaboratively with other interprofessional team members.
- has excellent clinical, communication, and clinical judgment skills.
The PIN program accepts approximately 8-15 senior nursing students each year.
- Sanford Internships provide quality, high-learning opportunities for students interested in pursuing a health care-related career. With a passion for redefining health care and transforming lives – the interns gain valuable experience and share in our dedication to making a difference in the lives of patients and team members. For more information and how to apply: Sanford Internship.
- Professional Development Program (PDP) at Avera McKennan is a summer well spent for students preparing for a career in nursing. Hospital nursing is an exciting career firled with many opportunities for advancement. PDP provides educational and clinical experience for nursing students, enhancing their prioritization, and critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills. The program pairs the student with a Registered Nurse mentor in the clinical setting and provides a comprehensive orientation including clinical experiences and a formal case presentation. For more information and how to apply: Avera McKennan PDP.
- A nursing scholarship opportunity for non-traditional nursing students. The Barbara Rhomberg Excellence in Nursing Scholarship, sponsored by B4 Brands, is awarded each year to five, non-traditional, fulltime students pursuing undergraduate degrees in nursing. All scholarship winners receive a non-renewable scholarship of $1,000 payable directly to the institution in which they are enrolled. For more information and how to apply: www.b4brands.com/nursing-scholarship.
- Scholarships for nursing or pre-nursing students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and can demonstrate financial need. Scholarships range from $1,000 to $5,000. For more information and how to apply: www.nsna.org.
- Current college student seeking a degree in nursing or athletic training. Scholarships up to $1,000. For more information and how to apply: Contact Augustana Financial Aid Office.
- Available to Nursing students in a degree program. Scholarship of $1,000 available. For more information and how to apply: nurseslink.org/nursing-program-scholarship/.
- Nursing student attending a 4 year, South Dakota, public or private university. Must have at least 24 completed credits and a 2.5 GPA. Financial need may be considered. Scholarship amounts vary. For more information and how to apply: Contact Augustana Financial Aid Office.
- Merit-based scholarships for students pursuing higher education with an emphasis in one of the following fields: nursing, medicine, natural or applied sciences, or engineering. Scholarship of $1,000 available. For more information and how to apply: www.newlookhouston.com/New_Look_Scholarship.
- Sanford Health has developed a scholarship program, Heart of Tomorrow Scholarship, to assist an employee's dependent child(ren) ho wishes to pursue post-secondary education in a two- or four-year college, university or vocational/technical program. These scholarships will be offered on a yearly basis for full-time study at any accredited post-secondary institution. For more information and how to apply: Sanford Health Scholarships.
- Sandord Health Loan Forgiveness Scholarship program is available at our Sioux Falls location. Sanford Health is offering a financial scholarship to assist nursing students with the expenses associated with the completion of your degree. As a recipient of these resources, you have the opportunity to work at Sanford Health - a healthcare industry leader - as a full-time employee. For more information and how to apply: Sanford Health Scholarships.
- The ARCH Scholarship is an innovative approach to financial assistance that links scholarship money with work opportunities for students and employees majoring in nursing. Students receiving financial assistance are committed to six months of employment for every $2500 of financial assistance received. Employees and students who leave school or choose to work elsewhere will simply repay the scholarship as a loan. For more information and how to apply: Avera Scholarships.