What Can I Do With a Nursing Major?
Augustana nurses are everywhere.
Augustana nursing graduates are leaders who work as nurses, educators, and administrators in community health agencies, hospitals, nursing homes, and schools of nursing around the country. Others have served in the military, Peace Corps, Indian Health Service, and as missionaries. A significant number pursue further study at the master’s, Ph.D., Ed.D., DNP and M.D. levels.
A short list of successful Augustana nursing alumni includes:
- Georgia Stern ’00, Birth Place director, Sanford Health
- Charis Poppens ’90, hospice coordinator for Sanford Home Health and Hospice
- Carla Borchardt ’84, director of professional services at the South Dakota Organization of Nurse Executives (SDONE) and public relations at Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center
- Mary Oyos ’83, diabetes clinical nurse specialist at Avera Hospital and University Health Center
- Dr. Carole Miserendino ’79, VP of patient care services and chief nursing officer for Resurrection Medical Center
- Teresa Peters Buell ’79, certified nurse midwife at Sanford Health Clinics
- Dr. Jill Bormann ’76, research nurse scientist at the VA San Diego Healthcare System and adjunct nursing research professor at San Diego State University
- Dr. LuAnn Eidsness ’75, professor and chair of the department of Internal Medicine at Sanford School of Medicine at the University of South Dakota
- Nancy Dykstra ’74, Executive Director of the Greater Sioux Community Health Center, Sioux Center, Iowa
- Dr. Cheryl Leuning ’72, professor and chair of the Department of Nursing at Augsburg College and president of the International Transcultural Nursing Society
- Dr. Joanne Warner ’72, dean of the School of Nursing at University of Portland
- Carol DeSchepper ’70, director of Avera Parish Nurse Center
- Doreen Frusti ’70, retired chair for the Department of Nursing at the Mayo Foundation
- Teresa Smith, '82, VP at Sacred Heart Cancer Service
- Joanne Olson, '72, chair of the Department of Internal Medicine at Sanford USD Medical Center