- Students presenting at ABCT (Association for Behavioral and Cogntiive Therapies) in November: Katie Beech, Michelle Erhardt, Kelsey Bortnum, Ali Goers and Leslie Walker (along with their advisor, Dr. Casey Trainor).
- Dr. Anne Zell and Andy Zell, who welcomed a new baby August 15. Everyone is doing well, and big brother William and big sister Lucy are excited to help with their new brother.
- Our 2013 graduates! Ryan Baird, Katie Beech, Travis Beniak, Collin Block, Kelsey Bortnem, Michelle Erhardt, Tiffany Gustafson, Heather Hovland, Melanie Jerke, Kristina Johnson, Stephanie Larson, Molly Martin, Taylor McCance, Maxine Melber, Aaron Munce, Ashley Schreurs, Naomi Seaton, Taylor Sharpe, Madeline Spalding, Ariel Tjaden, Brooke Walker, Dylan West, Kristen White
- Midwestern Psychological Association presenters: Aaron Entringer, Josh Goodwin, and Zack Truelson.
- Augie Symposium 2013 presenters: Katie Beech, Carlee Berens, Kelsey Bortnem, Kirsten Craft, Michelle Erhardt, Ali Goers, Josh Goodwin, Kyle Knapp, Ashley Schreurs, Zack Truelson.
News, events and information for current and future psychology students — and alumni.
KELO TV Appearances:
Recent Faculty Publications and Presentations:
- Trainor, C. D. Beech, K., Erhardt, M. L., Bortnum, K., & Goers, A. M. (2013, November). The Relationship between Distress Tolerance, Pre-Sleep Arousal, and Sleep Difficulties. Poster accepted for presentation at the 47th annual meeting of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, Nashville, TN.
- Goers, A.M., Erhardt, M. L., Beech, K., Walker, L., & Trainor, C. D. (2013, November). The Role of Perceived Control over Anxiety in the Relationship between Pre-Sleep Arousal and Sleep Difficulties. Poster accepted for presentation at the 47th annual meeting of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, Nashville, TN.
- Exline, J. J., Zell, A. L., Bratslavsky, E., Hamilton, M., & Swenson, A. (in press). People-pleasing through eating: Sociotropy predicts greater eating in response to perceived social pressure. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology.
- Exline, J. J., Zell, A. L., & Lobel, M. (in press). Sidestepping awkward encounters: Avoidance as a response to outperformance-related discomfort. Journal of Applied Social Psychology.
- DeWall, C. N., Zell, A. L., Deckman, T., Gailliot, M. T., & Baumeister, R. F. (in press). Approach and avoidance motivation following childhood social acceptance and rejection. In F. Columbus (Ed.), Psychology of Hate. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers.
- Bujarski, S., Feldner, M. T., Lewis, S. F., Babson, K. A., Trainor, C. D., Leen-Feldner, E., Badour, C. L., & Bonn-Miller, M. O. (in press). Marijuana use among traumatic-event exposed adolescents: Posttraumatic stress symptom frequency predicts coping motivations for use. Addictive Behaviors.
- Helder, E. & Erhardt, M.L. (2012, May). Older adults can use distributed retrieval practice to learn names, but get little benefit from three retrievals. Poster to be presented at the Association for Psychological Science convention, Chicago, IL: May 25-27, 2012.
- Lima, O. K. & Allard, H. N. (2012, May). Scaffolding with definitions and participation to improve preschoolers' storybook word learning. Poster presented at the 24th annual meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, Chicago, IL.
- Lima, O. K., Martin, M. M., & Walker, L. E. (2012, May). Repeated storybook reading with elaboration shapes children's behaviors. Poster presented at the 24th annual meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, Chicago, IL.
- Helder, E. & Lima, O. K. (2012, January). Incorporating primary sources in an intro course through student presentations of classic research. Poster presented at the 34th annual National Institute on the Teaching of Psychology, St. Pete Beach, FL: January 3-6.
- Helder, E. & Shaughnessy, J.J. (2011). Self-Generated Retrievals While Multitasking Improve Memory for Names. Memory, 19, 968-974.
- Lima, O. K. & Rives-East, D. (2011, October). Building bridges: Honors courses that join the sciences and humanities. To be presented at the annual meeting of the National Collegiate Honors Council, Phoenix, AZ.
- Jacobson, E. J. & Helder, E. (2011 May). An internal locus of control is associated with problem-focused coping at work. Poster presented at the Association for Psychological Science convention, Washington, DC: May 26-29, 2011.
- Helder, E. (2011 May). Attentional filters help screen-out advertisements during an Internet search task. Poster presented at the Association for Psychological Science convention, Washington, DC: May 26-29, 2011.
- Lima, O. K. (2011, March). Expanding our interdisciplinary perspective on development. Presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development Teaching Institute, Montreal, Canada.
- Downer, J. T., Booren, L. M., Lima, O. K., Luckner, A. E., & Pianta, R. C. (2010). The Individualized Classroom Assessment Scoring System (inCLASS): Reliability and validity of a system for observing preschoolers’ competence in classroom interactions. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 25, 1-16.
- Zell, A.L., & Exline, J.J. (2010). How does it feel to be outperformed by a "good winner? Prize sharing and self-deprecating as appeasement strategies. Basic and Applied Social Psychology.