Sophomore Year Experience
In collaboration with the Chapel of Reconciliation, Augustana's Student Success Center hosts reflective small group activities during the annual sophomore retreat to help students clarify questions about purpose, meaningful work and living a life of significance.
Hello and welcome to your second year at Augustana! We have planned events and activities to help you succeed in your college career and beyond. This initiative is dedicated to enriching your experience and engaging you during your sophoMORE year at Augustana.
By participating in events and utilizing campus resources you will gain a deeper understanding of wellness, interpersonal development, study strategies and vocation. Discover your academic and career goals by attending Student Success events and speaking with your academic advisor. Deepen your learning during success seminars and study cafes.
From internships to involvement in campus clubs, this is your year to get engaged and gain relevant experience. You do not need to look far to find opportunities. Choose from research, service, work or leadership in our co-curricular activities — your options are endless. Learn more by attending our annual Experience Expo, which brings more than 100 organizations together in the Elmen to share information with you about applied learning opportunities.
Increase your campus, community and cultural connections by forming friendships and learning more about study abroad. Network with employers during job fairs. Connect with faculty and professionals in your fields of interest.
Whether it is gathering as an entire class or attending events with a group of friends, an exciting fall semester is ahead of you. We have designed the following checklist to serve as a roadmap to help you navigate the academic year. Look for information about upcoming events as the year unfolds.
Success and Development Checklist
- Use the Academic Planner to develop your plan of study and discuss it with your academic advisor.
- Create an involvement record in Viking Central to track and celebrate your co-curricular engagement and experiential learning.
- Set up your Augie Opportunities account so you can search for and remain informed of job and internship opportunities.
- Become involved in one student organization affiliated with your major and a second organization associated with a personal interest.
- Serve as an officer or leader in at least one co-curricular activity or student organization.
- Continue to meet with tutors, Writing Center consultants, and your professors outside of class.
- Consider study abroad opportunities.
- Research occupations that interest you and declare a major.
- Find a summer job or internship related to your professional interests.
- Begin researching graduate and professional school requirements, as applicable.