Augie Access Program
A Post-Secondary Education Program for Young Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
Augustana invites young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities to participate in post-secondary educational experiences, thereby improving employment.
- Program Design
- Eligibility Requirements
- Information and Tour Sessions
- Application Process
- Program Contacts
- Admit three to five new students per year
- Provide access to a menu of courses for credit, non-credit, or auditing
- Utilize a Person-Centered Planning process
- Create appropriate supports for students in classroom settings
- Assist students in locating appropriate residential options
- Develop peer support networks (peer navigators)
- Produce on/off-campus work opportunities and internships including job coaching services
- Collaborate with Vocational Rehabilitation Services and Department of Labor and Regulation, Disability Employment Initiative, Department of Education and Division of Developmental Disabilities
- Ages 18 and up
- Primary goal of employment
- Students must have a documented diagnosis of an Intellectual/Developmental Disability
- Ability to fund tuition and fees (approximately $16,000 per year), housing, and books/supplies — View .pdf of the 2017-2018 Program Fees
- Access to and from Augustana's campus to attend classes and other activities
- Proven ability to participate appropriately in a classroom or professional setting
- IDEA-eligible, formerly IDEA eligible, or entitled to support through other disability services such as VR or DD.
- Access to Opportunity / Pathway to Success Admission Project - View .pdf of Instructions for Completion
Program tours and information sessions for families and students interested in learning more about the Augie Access program will be held on the following dates and times in 2017:
- Thursday, March 23 — 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, April 20 — 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 18 — 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, June 22 — 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- NO JULY OR AUGUST TOURS
- Thursday, September 21 — 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, October 19 — 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Novemeber 16 — 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, December 14 — 3:30-5:00 p.m.
Please email email@example.com or call 605.274.4926 to reserve a spot.
Applications for the 2017-2018 school year are now closed. An Augie Access application (.pdf) will be accepted for Fall 2018 enrollment and is due by Friday, Jan. 12, 2018. The Admission Committee will then notify you when the interview process will begin, and letters informing applicants of the decision will be mailed out approximately two weeks after interviews. A completed application consists of the application form, high school transcript, current IEP, two letters of recommendation, current evaluation documenting disability, transcripts of all previous college work (if applicable), completed vocational rehabilitation application/intake meeting documentation.
Questions and inquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 605.274.4926.
- Augustana University
- South Dakota Council on Developmental Disabilities
- South Dakota Department of Human Services
- South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation
- South Dakota Department of Education
As the Augie Access Program Coordinator, Jessica Lamb is a grant program coordinator and research assistant. She earned her master's of education with a focus in special education from Grand Canyon University. Jessica came to Augustana from the Aberdeen School District, where she was a special education teacher.
Augie Access Assistant Program Coordinator
Madsen Center #222
Serving as the Assistant Program Coordinator, Catherine Davis has a Bachelor of Science in Education from Northern State University. She comes to us from AXL Academy where she was an English teacher and yearbook advisor.