We encourage international students to take opportunities to travel whenever possible so you can visit more of South Dakota and the United States. Often it can be confusing to know what documents are needed both for travel within the United States, as well as for re-entry into the U.S. once you've left the country during your course of study. 


Travel within the United States

Once you have initially arrived to campus and you are making plans to travel within the U.S, it is important to know that you are required by law to have documents available to present if needed. While you may not need them, it is advisable to carry your valid passport, Form I-20 and Form I-94 when you travel within the U.S. Remember to keep photocopies of these documents in a safe place on campus so you have back-up copies if needed. 


Travel outside of the United States and Re-entry

Anytime you leave the U.S. while you are in current legal student status, be prepared to have specific, updated documents with you in order to gain re-entry into the United States.  While you may not be required to present all of these documents, we recommend carrying with you the following upon re-entry: 

  • Passport valid for at least six months after re-entry and valid student visa
  • Form I-20 signed within the last year for F-1 visa students (Be sure to have it signed by IPO staff before you leave Augustana if it hasn't bee signed within the last year.)
  • Form DS-2019 with valid travel signature for sponsored J-1 visa students
  • Current or upcoming term class schedule
  • Financial evidence
  • EAD card (only if you are currently on OPT)
  • Form I-94 printout

If you intend to travel or be away from campus for more than five months, you must visit with your International Student Advisor or IPO staff to discuss this process in order for you to be eligible to re-enter or return to your studies when you intend. Absences for longer than five months will require additional authorization and/or preparation.