Skip to main content
- Discuss your backgrounds and get to know each other.
- Discuss your goals for the relationship.
- Discuss the mentee’s career interests and goals.
Career Conversations: Things to Discuss
- The mentee’s talents, skills, and interests.
- How the mentor’s personal and professional life fit together.
- Read a book related to your field of interest.
- The mentor’s educational background and the role of educational preparation in your field.
Organizational types and cultures.
- Search the Internet together for job resources and other information related to your field.
- How individual work values impact career choices.
- A current event or issue in your field.
- Visit/discuss a variety of work environments.
- The professional standards that exist in your field.
- The transition from school to work.
- Proper business etiquette over lunch or dinner.
- How to navigate “office politics.”
- Participate in a company tour, if appropriate.
- Attend a professional meeting or program together.
- Critique the mentee’s resume and cover letter.
- Assist the mentee in completing a job application packet, portfolio, etc.
- Practice an informational interview.
- Practice a job interview.
Back to School
- Attend a campus lecture, concert, or sporting event together. The Augustana website will have a list
- of campus events that may be of interest to you.
- Invite the mentor to attend one of your classes.
- Investigate career-related student clubs.
- Visit the Career Center together.
Create Professional Networks
- Compile a list of contacts the mentee could meet with in your field.