Emergency Medical Services
Campus Safety Officers are trained in CPR, the use of the Automated External Defibrillator (AED), and basic first responder first aid.
Campus Safety officers responding to a report of an ill or injured party will assist as a first responder until Sioux Falls Fire Rescue or Paramedics Plus arrives on scene.
Augustana University recognizes that cardiovascular disease is the single greatest cause of death in the United States. Nearly half of those deaths are due to sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) in out-of-hospital settings. Prompt application of integrated skills or cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and automated external defibrillation (AED) provide victims of SCA with the greatest chance of survival.
The Department of Campus Safety maintains the automated external defibrillators located on campus.
The automated external defibrillator is used to treat victims who experience sudden cardiac arrest. It is only to be applied to victims, who are unconscious, not breathing normally and showing no signs of circulation such as normal breathing, coughing or movement. The AED will analyze the heart rhythm and advise the operator if a shockable rhythm is detected. If a shockable rhythm is detected, the AED will charge to the appropriate energy level and deliver a shock.
The Department of Campus Safety, in cooperation with the college Employee Health Educator, sponsors several CPR/AED classes throughout the calender year for students, faculty and staff. Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to watch for the next CPR/AED class and make plans to attend. If you would like to host a CPR/AED class, please contact the Department of Campus Safety, 605.274.4014.
Augustana University currently has fourteen(14) AEDs located at various locations on campus. Below are the locations of the AEDs. Please become familiar with where the closest AED is to you.
- Morrison Commons - 2112 S. Grange Ave. - Commons Desk
- Mikkelsen Library - 2117 S. Summit Ave. - Main Circulation Desk
- Madsen Center - 2301 S. Summit Ave. - First floor atrium area
- Froiland Science Complex - 2407 S. Summit Ave. - Main floor lobby near restrooms
- Humanities Building - 2120 S. Grange Ave. - Lobby/concourse near Center for Visual Arts
- Administration Building - 2102 S. Summit Ave. - Main entrance
- Elmen Center - 2505 S. Grange Ave. - Equipment Desk
- Elmen Center - 2505 S. Grange Ave. - 2nd Floor pool lobby/Weight Room
- Elmen Center - 2505 S. Grange Ave. - Athletic Training Room
- Center for Western Studies, 2121 S. Summit Ave. - Main entrance desk
- Health Services Office/Campus Clinic - 2312 S. Grange Ave. - basement of Solberg Hall
- Elmen Center - Athletic Training cart for Footbali
- Campus Safety Patrol Vehicles (2)
AEDs work. An AED was used on a victim of sudden cardiac arrest while attending a lecture in the Morrison Commons on our campus. The AED shocked the victim restoring the victims heart rate resulting in the victim surviving the sudden cardiac arrest!