Volunteering and Community Service
Volunteer Services, Campus Ministries, and Service-Learning provide Augie students with many different opportunities to serve the community. Through these organizations, students learn and gain meaningful experiences while they work toward their college educations.
- Volunteer Services — This organization provides volunteer opportunities to the students by bringing projects to campus and by sending students into Sioux Falls and the surrounding communities. Volunteer Services oversees Serving and Learning Together (SALT), Augustana's student organization that coordinates various volunteer efforts.
- Campus Ministry — The Augustana Student Congregation encourages students to express, explore and expand faith and develop leadership skills through a variety of service opportunities.
- Service-Learning Programs — Augustana’s Service-Learning Programs (sometime referred to as Experiential-Learning) integrate community service with academic study to meet specific student learning goals.
Recent past projects include:
- Teen Town — This year Augustana College will be partnering with the Salvation Army to support its local Christmas Program which brings in over 650 gifts for local teenagers.
- During the 2011 Christmas Season 1100 presents were donated to the Children's Inn, Children's Home, Lutheran Social Services, the Heartland House, and the Boys and Girls Club of the Sioux Empire.
- Celebrating Augustana's 18th annual Community Service Day through the participation of 500+ students giving their time and talents to 25 + local non-profit organizations.
- Over 2,000 lb of food were raised for Feeding South Dakota during Community Service Day.
- Preparing and serving meals for 300 or more guests at The Banquet, a Sioux Falls non-profit organization that feeds the hungry.
- Helped provide a fun day for participants in the First Lego League/Robotics Competition.