Campus housing at Augustana is intended to provide an atmosphere suitable for study and personal development.With the understanding that a large part of individual development occurs outside of the classroom, it is in the residence hall environment that a student may develop a high degree of self-growth, responsibility, self-discipline, and consideration for the rights of others. It is in this context that the following guidelines for responsible living are provided here.
It is the responsibility of every student to be familiar with and to comply with the University’s Code of Student Conduct and with the community standards for housing that are presented below. Community standards are listed in alphabetic order.
The possession and use of alcoholic beverages on the premises of the University is prohibited. However, alcoholic beverage use is permitted in designated housing facilities (theme houses and apartments) when students are 21 years of age or older. Augustana’s policy is presented in detail in the Code of Student Conduct.
- Medical Amnesty – Seeking medical assistance when faced with an alcohol or drug related emergency far outweighs the consequences of a policy violation. No student seeking medical assistance for oneself or for another will be subject to disciplinary action for the sole violation of an alcohol or other drug violation provided the student acts in good faith and cooperates with university officials.
Bicycles can be kept in student rooms but are not permitted in hallways, lobbies or other common areas in residence halls. Exceptions must be approved by Campus Life staff. The University provides a designated storage area for bicycles during winter months.
Computer Access & Services
Students have access to wireless internet in most campus housing facilities. Areas with no wireless connection will be provided with alternate access.
Food may be prepared in designated kitchens in each residence hall. Cooking in other areas is not permitted due to fire safety and pest concerns.
Use of electrical appliances in campus housing must comply with the following guidelines:
- All residence halls are supplied with approved microwave/refrigerators. Use of any microwave or refrigerator not supplied by Augustana is strictly prohibited.
- Appliances with exposed heating elements, space heaters, and halogen lamps are prohibited.
The following prohibited acts have the potential to threaten the safety of others. Violations of this policy will likely result in a minimum $50 fine, plus costs for repair and replacement where applicable. This policy is subject to city and state fire codes and violations may be referred to local authorities.
- Tampering with fire safety equipment such as extinguishers, smoke detectors, alarms and building fire exits.
- Possession and/or discharge of fireworks in campus housing or on campus grounds.
- Burning candles, incense and other actions involving an open flame.
- Other activities that create fire safety risk (overloaded outlets, daisy-chained extensions cords, unsafe electrical appliances or equipment) are prohibited.
In event of fire, pull fire alarm and call 911. Never assume someone else has called the fire department. Notify housing staff and Campus Safety immediately
Furnishings (Common Areas)
Residence hall lobbies and lounges (dayrooms) are furnished for the comfort and accessibility of all students. Furniture may not be moved to student rooms.
Furnishings (Student Rooms)
Student rooms (with the exception of designated Costello apartments), dayrooms, lounges, and lobbies are furnished for comfort and accessibility of all students. Furniture is to remain in designated areas at all times. Moving or tampering with furnishings may result in a fine plus costs associated with repair/replacement.
Students may construct lofts. However, the University cannot endorse or recommend designs, or assist with construction. Lofts must be (a) structurally sound, (b) independently supported − cannot be attached to existing structures, fixtures or furnishings, (c) must not interfere with access to or the effectiveness of exits or fire safety, mechanical, electrical, or other important equipment. Augustana reserves the right to require the removal of personal furnishings that pose a risk to personal safety or property.
Students may invite friends/relatives of the same gender to stay with them as guests for a maximum of two consecutive nights.
- Student is responsible for notifying hall staff that guests are staying overnight.
- Guests will comply with community standards for housing and the Code of Student Conduct.
- Augustana reserves the right to remove a guest from the premises if it is deemed to be in the interest of the health and safety of the campus community.
- Guest housing is not permitted during vacation periods when campus housing is closed and room availability and access is limited.
Students may visit members of the opposite sex in rooms, hallways, and community areas on residence hall floors between the the hours of 10 a.m. to 2 a.m.
- Students may determine by a majority vote of occupants living on the same residence hall floor some revisions to this policy. They may expand visitation privileges with the floor’s dayrooms and lounges 24 hours. Floors may also reduce/restrict hours.
Key and Card Access
Students are issued a room key and given ID card access to facility entrances. Key and card access is granted only to the student living in the designated housing assignment.
- Keys and cards may not be loaned or transferred to another.
- A lost key is replaced (temporarily and/or permanently) by contacting a hall director or the Center for Campus Life. Replacement of door locks are also authorized by the same office.
- ID cards are replaced by the Department of Campus Safety located in the Commons.
- University staff are not authorized open a locked room to retrieve a key or card.
- Duplication, altering, or using unauthorized keys is prohibited.
Replacement charges for the current academic year:
$5 — Lost key off-campus
$25 — Failure to return key at check-out
$75 — Lost key on-campus (requires replace door lock)
$15 — Lost ID card
Key: Lock-out Policy
This policy is currently under review.
Maintenance and Repairs
The condition of the housing environment is everyone’s responsibility. Students are expected to report accident or maintenance situations requiring immediate attention.
In the event of a medical emergency, contact housing staff immediately or call Campus Safety at 274- 4014. If the situation is life-threatening, call 911.
City fire code limits the overnight occupancy in residence hall rooms and bedrooms in apartments/house to a maximum of three (3) persons.
Painting of rooms is not permitted in residence halls, apartments and themes houses.
The University is not liable for the loss or damage to personal property. Augustana is also not liable for abandoned belongings. Students will be responsible for any costs incurred to remove abandoned property.
Pets and live animals with the exception of small fish in aquariums are not permitted in campus housing. Aquariums may not be larger than 20 gallons. (Interruptions of electrical service are likely during vacation periods due to maintenance requirements).
Each housing facility may modify quiet hours to meet the needs of residents. Unless otherwise posted, quiet hours in residence halls are 10:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m. Students are expected be respectful and courteous at all times regardless of quiet hours.
Refrigerators must comply with the following standards: Units must be rated for energy efficiency - may not use more than 1.5 amps, must be no larger than 4.0 cubic feet, and only one refrigerator allowed per room.
Room Entry and Search
The University may exercise reasonable authority, including but not limited to searches of rooms and of personal property to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of individuals and property. Augustana also reserves the right to enter campus housing in the event of a facility maintenance issue or when a behavioral concern may constitute a violation of the Code of Conduct.
The following entry and search procedures campus housing premises represent general guidelines and shall not be interpreted as a rigid policy.
- Augustana personnel (hereafter referred to as staff) will identify themselves before entering a room, apartment or theme house.
- Staff are authorized to enter if the assigned occupants are either not present or if staff are refused entry.
- The purpose of the entry will be communicated to occupants when possible.
- Staff are not authorized to enter locked rooms upon the request or benefit of another student.
- Rooms, apartments and houses are routinely entered during vacation periods for maintenance and security inspections (i.e. closed windows, locked doors, electrical appliances unplugged).
- Personal items that are prohibited or pose a real or potential threat to the safety, health or welfare of any person may be removed without the permission of the owner.
- Staff will seize illegal material however, the extent of the search will be in keeping with the factual information upon which the room entry and probable cause for the search was intended.
- Occupied premises will not be searched without authorization.Searches are authorized by the Dean of Students, Director of Campus Safety, or a designate. An authorization to search is based upon probable cause and will specify the reason for the search and the object or information sought.
- Evidence seized during a search may be used in student conduct hearings.
- No provision other than an emergency or threat to the safety, health or welfare of any person shall give university officials authority to consent to a search by law enforcement personnel without a court-issued warrant.
Safety (Residence Halls)
Residence halls are locked at all times. Outside entrances are not be be left ajar and students are advised to not give entry to any person who is not recognized as a member of the campus community; classmate, faculty or staff. Hall receptionists monitor building access during specified hours in Bergsaker, Granskou, Solberg, Stavig, and Tuve Halls.
- Visitors/Guests are expected to show a form of identification and sign-in at the reception desk. Students they are visiting are expected to escort the guest to their room. Hall receptionists are not permitted to disclose room numbers to visitors.
- Students must present their ID card to hall receptionists when entering housing other than their own residence hall after 12:00 a.m. when unaccompanied by a resident of that building.
Screens and Windows
Screens and windows may not be removed. Objects dropped or thrown be from windows and stairwells are prohibited.
Signs, fliers and posters may be posted on bulletin boards and designated spaces in hallways. Posting is not permitted on entry doors and glass partitions. Signs publicizing non-college business and events may be posted in the lobbies with the permission of the appropriate hall director.
Smoking (Tobacco-Free Campus)
Augustana is a tobacco-free campus. The use of tobacco products in or on University property is prohibited and includes: Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, all forms of smokeless tobacco, clove cigarettes and any other smoking devices that use tobacco, such as hookahs, or simulate the use of tobacco, such as electronic cigarettes.
Door-to-door solicitation is prohibited with the exception of approved on-campus organizations. Approval must be granted by the Center for Campus Life.
- Off-campus organizations and businesses may leave informational fliers and advertisements with the Center for Campus Life for distribution if the promotion is appropriate to the campus and congruent with the values of Augustana.
- Campus housing facilities may not be used for sales presentations.
The University does not provide (summer) storage in campus housing facilities. Contact the Augustana Student Association for additional information about the ASA sponsored summer storage program.
Cable television is available in student rooms in residence halls as an optional amenity. Contact the Center for Campus Life for subscription rates.
Tornadoes and Severe Weather
In the event of an approaching tornado or other severe weather conditions:
- Do not leave building.
- Do not pull fire alarm.
- Move to the lowest floor of the building.
- Sit in a central corridor covering your face with your arms.
- Stay away from windows.
Students must apply to use a waterbed in campus housing. Waterbeds may not exceed 4 feet by 7 feet and may not restrict the entrance of the room (36” door clearance and at least 18 inches of access to windows and heating units). Designated sinks on each floor must be used when filling or draining waterbeds -may not be drained from windows, staircases etc.
Augustana Housing | EMC 119 | Campus Mailbox 724 | firstname.lastname@example.org | 605.274.5215