General Information about Early Arrival to Campus
We strive to be flexible and understanding so that we can meet every legitimate need for students to check-in to college-owned housing before the official move-in day and designated move-in times. Please read through this information in its entirety to be sure that you understand what is expected of you, should you choose to apply for early arrival.
Move-In Weekend for All Students is Saturday, August 27th (first-year and transfer students) and Sunday, August 28th (returning students)!
Official move-in times for fall semester 2016 are as follows:
First-Year and Transfer Students: Saturday, August 27th, 8 AM to 12 Noon
Returning Students: Sunday, August 28th, 10:30 AM to 3 PM
Early arrival requests are subject to published criteria (see below) and the readiness of the requested space following summer housing turnover. All requests to check-in ahead official move-in times should be submitted through an Early Arrival Request Form.
Students who are part of a college-sponsored organization (student athlete, student leader, etc.) may be approved if the organization is required to be on campus prior to Saturday, August 27th. The Campus Life Office will coordinate arrival details with the organization's director, advisor, or coach.
In order to ensure that all students from a group or team are approved, the director, advisor, or coach will need to be in contact with the Campus Life Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 605.274.5215).
Please review the criteria provided below. Please note that each request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and the Campus Life Office will contact employers, faculty, and staff to verify requests.
Criteria for Early Arrival approval:
- On-Campus Employment — Students required to be on-campus early to start college employment. Please note that your supervisor will verify your employment.
- Academic Program — Students required to be on-campus due to the early start of an academic program (i.e. student teaching, faculty-sponsored research projects, etc.).
- Summer Housing — Students who have been living in on campus housing during the summer. These students will be transitioned to fall room assignments in mid-to-late August.
If you do not meet the criteria, other circumstances will be carefully considered, but you will likely be assessed a $100 fee. The fee is assessed to cover additional staffing in residence halls and housekeeping services.
The following requests for early arrival will likely be approved, dependent on availability and with a $100 fee (assessed to your student account).
- Family or personal conflict — For students who themselves or whose families are unable to arrive on opening day due to work or family commitments or are coming from a great distance.
- Off campus employment — Students who are working off-campus and need to be back early for a job.
Please do not make requests for the following reasons:
- Roommate already on campus — Students who are hoping to move in because their roommate(s) has arrived early will not be approved for early arrival. Unauthorized early arrivals will be billed the $100 early arrival fee and may be asked to leave.
- Just want to be back — If there is no legitimate reason for a student to be on campus early, we will not approve an early arrival. Remember that it is logistically very challenging to prepare all rooms, houses, and apartments before official check-in dates and times.
Fall semester meal plans are NOT active until Sunday, August 28th. Approved early arrival requests will have meal plan access beginning with the evening meal on August 28th.
Application for Approval
To apply for early arrival, complete an Early Arrival Request Form.
Requests will typically receive a response within 3 to 5 business days. However, some requests take time to sort out, due to conflicts with availability. Requests made after Friday, August 12, 2016 will only be honored for extenuating circumstances.
Move In Crew
Volunteer for Move In Crew and be the first to welcome your fellow Vikings back on Move In Day! Contact Campus Life at 605.274.5215 or email@example.com for more information. (MIC Volunteers will be permitted an early move in date of August 23rd and the $100 early arrival fee will be waived. Plus you get a snazzy move in crew shirt, you lucky Viking!)
Thank you for your cooperation. We look forward to seeing you all in the fall!