Krause Library at CWS
The Center for Western Studies houses more than 35,000 books and bound periodicals from the personal collections of Herbert Krause, Richard Cropp, Frederick Manfred, C. J. McDonald, Alan Woolworth, and Miles Browne among other donors. These books and periodicals focus on the American West, American literature, and American Indian ethnology.
Records for the Center's research library and a portion of its manuscript collections are included in the online catalog of Mikkelsen Library. Researchers can access the catalog through the WorldCat database.
Materials in the Krause Library are available for in-house research Monday - Friday, 8 a.m - 5 p.m. Checkout privileges are extended to students, faculty, and staff of Augustana College and Sioux Falls Seminary as well as members of the Center for Western Studies as outlined below:
- Current members of CWS will be granted checkout privileges for the Krause and Mikkelsen Libraries upon request. They will be issued a card that expires one year from date of issuance.
- CWS honors Augustana IDs and Sioux Falls Seminary IDs for checkout privileges for students, faculty, and staff.
- The membership/library card entitles the holder to the regular four-week loan period and one renewal.
- Members of the groups outlined here may borrow items from the Krause Library book collections except those designated as Library Use Only.
- The cardholder is responsible for any overdue fines and replacement costs.