CWS Hosts Plains Politics Symposium and Book Launch
Date: September 8, 2018
Time: 7:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Location: CWS Fantle Building, 2121 South Summit Avenue
Ticket Info: Free and open to the public.
The Center for Western Studies invites you to join us Saturday, Sept. 8, for the launch of volume three of "The Plains Political Tradition: Essays on South Dakota Political Culture," one of the newest titles from the South Dakota Historical Society Press.
Continuing their in-depth analysis of the wide-ranging political culture of South Dakota, editors Jon K. Lauck, John E. Miller, and Paula E. Nelson have assembled incisive essays, which articulate the often-complex nature of politics in the Mount Rushmore State.
This one-of-a-kind symposium will feature three panels of historians, journalists, and political junkies followed by a book signing. Copies of the new book will be available for sale at the event.
7:30 – 7:40 a.m.
- Welcome | Harry Thompson, Executive Director, Center for Western Studies
- Greeting | Stephanie Herseth Sandlin, President, Augustana University
- Introduction | Nancy Koupal, Director, South Dakota Historical Society Press
7:40 – 8:00 a.m.
- “Sources for South Dakota Political History” | Michele Christian, Archivist, South Dakota State University, and Dan Daily, Dean of Libraries, University of South Dakota
8:00 – 9:30 a.m. PANEL 1: The Deep History of South Dakota Politics
- “The Civil War and South Dakota Political Development” | Kurt Hackemer, University of South Dakota
- “American Indian Politics in Early South Dakota” | Linda Clemmons, Illinois State University
- “South Dakota Populism” | Jeff Wells, University of Nebraska-Kearney
- “South Dakota Progressivism” | Kenneth Smith, North Dakota State University
- Chair | David Earnest, University of South Dakota
9:45 – 11:15 a.m. PANEL 2: The Politics of the Recent Past in South Dakota
- “Gender Politics in 1970s South Dakota” | Matthew Pehl, Augustana University
- “The Politics of the 1980s in South Dakota” | Cory Haala, Marquette University
- “Bill Janklow, Stan Adelstein, and Jewish Political Participation in South Dakota” | Art Marmorstein, Northern State University, and Eric Zimmer, Vantage Point Research
- Chair | Joel Johnson, Augustana University
11:15 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. PANEL 3: The South Dakota Political Tradition and the Contemporary Political Scene
- Jonathan Ellis
- John Miller
- Bob Mercer
- Paula Nelson
- Seth Tupper
- Chair | Jon Lauck
12:30 – 1:00 p.m.
- Informal Book Signing