Celebrating With Church Congregations
It is with great enthusiasm that Augustana prepares to inaugurate its 24th President, Stephanie Herseth Sandlin, on Friday, Sept. 15.
Augustana is a Christian university and Stephanie is deeply committed to AU's mission to integrate faith with learning and service. Stephanie’s journey to Augustana is rooted in faith and a history of breaking barriers. She grew up on her family’s farm near Houghton, South Dakota, and attended college in Washington, D.C., earning undergraduate, graduate and law degrees from Georgetown University. During this time, she was a teaching fellow for university students and an instructor on the faculty of the law school. Stephanie’s career has taken her down many paths — the first executive director of the South Dakota Farmers Union Foundation, the first woman elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from South Dakota as well as the youngest woman serving in the House during that time, a partner in a Washington, D.C., law firm, and the first general counsel and vice president of corporate development at Raven Industries in Sioux Falls.
This fall is full of excitement at Augustana University and all communities of faith are invited to celebrate this next chapter. There are several ways you can participate and share in the celebration:
- Pray for Augustana and its new president with your congregation at your Sept. 10 worship services;
- Share a bulletin insert (that is conveniently shared in a two-up format to make copying easier) with your congregation to spread the word about AU inaugural events taking place Sept. 10-16;
- Share with your congregation a video message from Stephanie (coming before Sept. 1);
- Celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation with AU using this handout; and
- Attend Stephanie’s inauguration (3:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 15, at the Elmen Center).
Thank you for your prayers and support in this new chapter in Augustana’s story.