Connecting to Augustana's Residence Hall Network
Connecting to Augustana's Residence Hall Network
Augustana provides both 2.4 and 5 GHz N based wireless.
To successfully connect to our network you will need to have current virus protection (for Windows systems). You will also need to have Windows Automatic Updates turned on and all current Windows updates installed.
We have prepared a set of on-screen instructions that will lead you through this process. But before you can do any of this, you will need to connect to the Augie Campus wireless SSID.
Once connected to the Augustana Network, follow these instructions:
- Your computer will be redirected to a Cisco NAC Agent login page. If not, launch a web browser and you will see this page.
- Login to the system using the same user name and password you were given for your Augustana e-mail account and my.augie.account.
Follow the instructions on the screen to download the Cisco NAC Agent Access client and get your computer connected to the internet.
- Mac OS X users: once logged in via your browser, Mac users are authenticated and can skip the rest of these instructions.
- Install the Cisco NAC Agent.
- You may be directed to update your virus protection or run Windows Updates. Just follow the instructions on the screen.
You will need to have current virus protection to connect to Augustana's network. Please see our Student Anti-Virus page for information on recommended anti-virus programs that work with the Cisco NAC.
The Augustana Wireless network is available campus wide and in all campus residence halls. Most residence hall rooms have one port of wired connectivity available for systems that cannot connect to wireless.
Game Consoles and Mobile Devices
For Game Consoles and Mobile Devices (which find authentication difficult or impossible), you may register your device and ITS can exempt it from the Cisco NAC authentication process. You must sign in using your Augustana Ole Google apps account (same username and password as the campus network), and complete the Device Registration form in its entirety. Click Here for the Device Registration Form for game consoles and mobile devices.
Campus and Residential Network Policies and Information:
Providing an outstanding wireless experience to many rooms is very different from "home networking". Channel density and user saturation require a large, controller based system to provide robust network connectivity. These systems (from all vendors) vary greatly from the simple Home WiFi Router. Sharing and printing that are easily allowed on a Home WiFi Router are not recommended or easily configured on larger controller based networks. In order to ensure an outstanding wireless/network experience for everyone, Augustana ITS asks that you observe the following information and policies.
- Wireless Routers: Personal wireless routers will conflict with our channels and can degrade Augustana wireless for other students. Now that we have upgraded the full campus controller based wireless, we cannot allow students to connect and use personal wireless routers. Our system will effectively disable the use of personal wireless routers.
Wireless Printers: You can not connect a printer to Augustana's wireless network. Bring a USB cable for your printer, even if your printer has wireless capabilities. Making a printer available over a wireless network opens it up for anyone to use or abuse.
- Augustana ITS asks that you disable the wireless connectivity of any wireless printers in your room. While directions will differ among different manufacturers and models, this can usually be done by opening the printer settings or clicking the wireless button on the printer and disabling it through an interface. If you experience any problems when disabling the wireless on your printer, you may ask the Computer Helpdesk for assistance.
- You should be familiar with the Higher Education Opportunity Act Peer-to-Peer File Sharing policy and the Augustana Computer Use Policy which govern campus network and computer use by all Faculty, Staff and Students, including campus residence halls and apartments:
Augustana ITS will make a best effort attempt to assist residence hall students with connecting various network devices to the residence hall network. Here are some examples of what will and will not work on our large scale controller based network:
- Gaming consoles and games are supported on a best effort basis. We know for sure that Call of Duty Ghosts is not likely to work on our network due to Activision's new requirement for each user to have a single, dedicated IP address to use it. We have contacted Activision, and they simply don't care. Most other Activision games work fine.
- Device Registration Form for game consoles and mobile devices.
- Wireless printing is not supported.
- Apple TV AirPlay and Airprint are not supported due to their "Home WiFi" design.
For more info on Campus Wireless, see Augustana Campus Wireless.