THE CENTER FOR WESTERN STUDIES

Home -> The Center for Western Studies

Augustana College Archives

The Augustana College Archives serves the administrative and educational function of Augustana College, a college of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. Founded in 1860 in Chicago, Augustana moved several times before locating permanently in 1918 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where it was merged with Lutheran Normal School. Its college preparatory school, Augustana Academy, remained in Canton, South Dakota, until it closed in 1971. Most of the archives holdings are restricted to authorized personnel of the college. Some records, deemed historical in nature, may be open to researchers. The following is a summary of the record groups held in the archives. Access is by appointment only with the Collections Assistant.

The President
Academic Services
Augustana Research Institute
Ancillary Agencies
Student Services
Financial Services
Advancement/Development
Lutheran Normal School
Augustana Academy
Student Organizations
College and Student Publications
Photographs