Exhibits & Collections
Current Gallery Exhibit
Archive & Manuscript Collections
Art & Artifact Collections
Compact Shelving photos
Sioux Falls in the Time of Richard F. Pettigrew:
A Sesquicentennial Photo Exhibit
“Nineteenth Century Hunting in the Northern Plains” Exhibit
The buffalo coat is on loan from Jeffrey Hayzlett. The rifles were donated by Lynn and Barbara Aspaas, Les Baylor, Vernell and Louise Johnson, and Tom and Elaine McIntosh. Collections Assistant Liz Thrond (Augustana ‘06) is seen installing the exhibit.
Photo at top: Muzzle Loading Shotgun
The double barrel on this muzzle loading shotgun is constructed of Damascus twist steel. The gun was owned and used by Charles Nelson Frost (1865-1945). It may have moved with his family from Lee Center, Illinois, to Salina, Kansas, before they returned again to northern Illinois. At the death of Charles Frost, the shotgun passed to his grandson, Leslie M. Baylor of Rapid City, South Dakota. Hunters carried ammunition for guns like this one in leather shot loader pouches. They could be very decorative; notice the embossed imagery of birds and a dog on the display pieces.