Kirkeby-Over Stadium Dedication, Open House September 1
SIOUX FALLS – Football is returning to Augustana’s campus for the first time since the 1956 season and the Vikings are ready to show off their new home.
The 6,000-seat Kirkeby-Over Stadium at 37th Street and Lake Avenue will be dedicated during ceremonies beginning at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 1. The dedication will be held in the parking lot on the east side of the stadium adjacent to Grange Avenue.
Following the dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremonies, the stadium will be open for tours, including the press box and suites. The Vikings will be practicing on the Fieldturf Duraspine playing surface, the concession stand will be open, and Augustana branded apparel will be available for purchase.
The expansive Daktronics HD Video Scoreboard will be lit and images will be projected on the wide screen. The stadium floor is recessed six-feet in the ground literally placing fans on top of the action. Fans can also watch the action from grass berms in both end zones.
Other unique features include a tunnel on the north side of the stadium. The home team will enter the field through the tunnel. The walking bridge over the tunnel connects the east and wide sides of the stadium.
The Kirby Golf Center is located under the south restroom on the west side of the stadium. Augustana now has indoor practice facilities for baseball, golf, and softball.
Augustana’s first game in KO Stadium is Saturday, September 5. The Vikings host Emporia State of Kansas in a non-conference game with kickoff at 1:00 p.m.
Kirkeby-Over Stadium is Augustana’s third on-campus football facility. However, the Vikings left campus following the 1956 season and continued to play all their home games at Howard Wood Field.
In the fall of 2007, Bob and Kari Hall of Sioux Falls provided the lead gift of $6.1 million to build Kirkeby-Over Stadium, which is named after alumna Kari Hall’s parents, Percy Kirkeby and Elizabeth Markley Over, also Augustana graduates.
Director, News Information