Discover the Past at Archeology Days
You Are Invited to Discover the Past: It’s Beneath Your Feet!
Don't miss your chance to attend Archeology Days, scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, July 9 and 10, at the Mitchell Prehistoric Indian Village in Mitchell, SD. Exciting events throughout the day include:
- Demonstrations by Primitive Technologists Rick Hamilton and Jack Webster, who will show us the art of flint knapping, ancient stone tools and more.
- Caroline Jeffra, Morgan Tucker and Amy Godsell will demonstrate primitive pottery making — we can all get our hands dirty with this activity!
- Dr. Alan Stanfill will show us some more stone tool technology.
- Tom Norwick, from Cabela's, will give a long bow demonstration.
- Tour the Thomsen Center Archeodome and watch excavations at this 1000-year-old site by a team of Augustana and British students and faculty (excavations will continue through Wednesday, July 20).
- Visit the Boehnen Museum and see a full-size replica earthlodge and bison skeleton
- See the new “Journey Of Discovery” exhibit.
- Meet professional archeologists and view a variety of displays on prehistoric and historic Archeology
- Watch native technology demonstrations such as flint knapping.
- Kids Dig (use the tools of archeologists to discover artifacts)
- Make pottery using prehistoric techniques
- Test your hunting skills using an atlatl-spear thrower
- Kids 5 and under are free
- students 6-18 yrs — $4
- seniors — $5
- adults — $6