Jan. 29-31: Northlanders Jazz Band Interim Tour
Date: January 28 - January 30, 2012
Times: Varies by location.
The Northlanders Jazz Band, under the direction of Dr. Paul R. Schilf, will play five performances during its Interim 2012 tour of Iowa and Nebraska.
Tour dates and locations include:
Sunday, Jan. 29:
- 2 p.m. performance at Valley West Mall, Des Moines, Iowa
Monday, Jan. 30:
- 9:30 a.m. performance at Earlham Community Schools, Earlham, Iowa
- 7:30 p.m. performance at Westroads Mall, Omaha, Neb.
Tuesday, Jan. 31:
- 10 a.m. performance at Beveridge Magnet School, Omaha, Neb.
- 2:05 p.m. performance at Omaha Northwest High School, Omaha, Neb.
The concerts will include performances of "A Good Time Was Had By All," by Thad Jones; "Four," by Miles Davis; "Greetings and Salutations," by Thad Jones; "Groove Merchant," by Thad Jones; "Keep The Customer Satisfied," by Paul Simon; "Mexican Jumping Beans," by Mario Cruz; "Orchids and Butterflies," by Sammy Nestico; "The Heat’s On," by Sammy Nestico; and "Switch In Time," by Sammy Nestico.
The Northlanders Jazz Band has performed on the main stage at JazzFest, the region's largest jazz and blues festival. The Northlanders was founded in 1954 as a student-run organization and, in 1965, Dr. Harold Krueger assumed leadership. Since then, the Northlanders Jazz Band has performed for many campus and community events and has been featured in the annual Jazz on the Upper Great Plains Festival. In 2011, Schilf began his 11th year as director.