March 30-31: New Play Festival
The Claire Donaldson New Play Festival will feature performances of student-authored theatrical works beginning at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, March 30, and Saturday, March 31, at Augustana’s Edith Mortenson Center Theatre. Admission is free.
Friday will feature original works by Milford, Iowa, native Leah Hilsabeck and Windom, Minn., native Elizabeth Yackel-Juleen. Saturday will feature staged readings of the following six plays, chosen from submissions:
- "Alligator Man," by Grant Hooyer; directed by Josh Thies
- "An Observation of Light," by Justin Duffield; directed by Dan Workman
- "Below the Water," by Ryan Wilkins; directed by Megan McDonald
- "Defending Fort McHenry," by Ally Jo Lloyd; directed by Jennifer Shouse-Klassen
- "One Way Out," by Spencer Hopewell; directed by Jacob Miller
- "The Birthday Party," by Mt. Cleverest (a group that includes Matt Cook, Elizabeth Zokaites, Spencer Hopewell, Katelynn Kenney and Stephanie Richman); directed by Jayna Fitzsimmons
Founded in honor of the late Claire M. Donaldson, a 2000 graduate of Augustana and a passionate playwright, the Festival features previously unproduced plays. Since 2005, the Festival has raised funds to create a Claire Donaldson Scholarship.
"Claire’s early passing was a great loss to the Augustana community. As a talented young artist, she now has a legacy and we are proud to be a part of this great effort that offers immediate staging opportunities," said Dan Workman, assistant professor of theatre.