April 19-22: Opera Theatre Features "The Princess And the Pea"
The Augustana Department of Performing and Visual Arts will present an Opera Theatre Performance of Ernst Toch's "The Princess and the Pea" at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 19; 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 21; and at 3 p.m. on Sunday, April 22, in Kresge Recital Hall.
The performances will be under the direction of Dr. Lisa Grevlos, accompanied by Deanna Wehrspann.
- 7:30 p.m. Thursday, April 19
- 7:30 p.m. Saturday, April 21
- 3 p.m. Sunday, April 22
- TICKETS: www.augietickets.com
Student performers include:
- The King: Tyler Wasberg, Slayton, Minn.
- The Queen: Hannah Patzer, Marshall, Minn.
- The Prince: Mark Nelsen, Rock Valley, Iowa
- The Chancellor: Logan Enze, Sioux Falls
- The Minister: Ben Winkler, Cottage Grove, Minn.
- The Nurse: Maren Engel, Owasso, Okla.
- A Foreign Princess: Abby Trei, Rock Rapids, Iowa
- Kristen Meidinger, Colton, S.D.
- Maren Jacobsen, Sioux Falls
- Julie Eddy, Dell Rapids, S.D.
- Hailey Attema, Inwood, Iowa
- Calen Johnson, Sioux Falls
- Kai Jacobson, Champlin, Minn.
An Academy Award nominee for his work in Hollywood films, Toch's Third Symphony earned him a Pulitzer Prize in 1956. Throughout the 1920s and early 1930s, he was a celebrated composer in Germany. His orchestral works were performed by some of the leading conductors of the time, and works such as his 1927 chamber opera, "The Princess and the Pea," placed him in the top ranks of emerging "modernist" composers.
The work tells the story of a king and queen who have grown old and a prince still without a bride. One stormy night a girl appears bedraggeled and grimy, declaring to be a princess. For the prince, it is love at first sight. The parents, however, think she must be "tested" to be sure of her royal origins. What better way than by placing a tiny pea at the bottom of twenty mattresses? If she is royal, she surely must be affected by this discomfort!
Tickets are $5 for adults and are free for Augustana students, faculty and area K-12 students with identification and are available at www.augietickets.com.