Through Feb. 2: CWS Gallery Feature Art of Russ Duerksen
Date: December 9 - February 1, 2013
Times: Gallery Reception: 4:30-6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 12 (gallery talk begins at 5:30 p.m.).
Location: Center for Western Studies
Ticket Info: Free and open to the public.
"The Art of Russ Duerksen" will be on display from Monday, Dec. 10, through Saturday, Feb. 2.The gallery reception on Wednesday, Dec. 12, included a gallery talk.
Duerksen grew up in eastern South Dakota where he spent most of his youth on his grandparent’s farm and exploring the outdoors. His love for nature gave him inspiration to sketch the wildlife that he saw. This led Russ to a commercial art career and then to his dream of becoming a full-time professional artist.
He gathers reference material for his paintings through hunting and photo trips. Duerksen enjoys entering art contests and has received many awards including:
- 2010 Fifth Place Federal Duck Stamp
- 2008 Oklahoma Waterfowl Stamp
- 2003 Nominated for the Sioux Falls Mayor’s Award for Excellence in Visual Arts
- 2001 Pheasants Forever National Package, “Along The Creek”
- 2000 & 1999 South Dakota Migratory Bird Certification Stamp
- 1999 Delaware Migratory Waterfowl Stamp
- 1996, ’95 & ’91 South Dakota State Waterfowl Restoration Stamps
- 1997 South Dakota State Habitat Stamp
The exhibit is located in the Madsen/Nelson/Elmen Galleries of the Fantle Building at the Center for Western Studies, 2121 South Summit Ave. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays. Admission is free.