July 16-20: JazzFest Jazz Camp for Students
The third annual JazzFest Jazz Camp is being held July 16-20 at Augustana College.
Jazz Camp features offerings on:
- Jazz Theory
- History of Jazz
- Combo Rehearsal
- Big Band Rehearsal
- Master Classes
- Evening concerts with faculty, guests and students
The finale performance will take place on the Main Stage at JazzFest 2013 at 1:30 p.m. (and on the second stage at noon) on Saturday, July 20. Campers will also get a backstage visit with JazzFest artists and will be featured on South Dakota Public Broadcasting’s “Best of JazzFest” TV show.
JazzFest is the biggest jazz and blues festival in the upper Midwest — featuring past performances by Joe Walsh, the Neville Brothers, Little Feat, Buddy Guy, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Bettye LaVette, Tower of Power, Taj Mahal, Mavis Staples and many more.
Jazz Camp Featured Artists/Instructors:
- Chris Vadala, one of the country’s premiere woodwind jazz artists and educators..
- Dr. Paul Schilf, director of Jazz at Augustana College. Camp Director, brass and grades 9-12 jazz band ensembles.
- Jim McKinney, former director of Bands at South Dakota State University. Rhythm and grades 6-8 jazz band ensembles.
- Mark Isackson, woodwinds.
- Augustana band students will serve as camp counselors.
Dr. Paul Schilf