Sept. 4: Convocation to Open 2013-14 Academic Year
Augustana will mark the beginning of the 2013-14 academic year at Opening Convocation, set for 10 a.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 4, at Our Savior's Lutheran Church.
Convocation will recognize 21 Sophomore Honors award recipients. Sophomore Honors are awarded to students who have earned a GPA of 3.9 or higher by the end of their sophomore year and are on their way to achieving summa cum laude status. The award acknowledges the hard work and dedication needed to attain this level of academic excellence. Sophomore Honors award winners are:
- Brooke Bitker, Redwood Falls, Minn.
- Rachel Bjork, Le Sueur, Minn.
- Elizabeth Donelan, Wagner, S.D.
- James Duffy, Roseville, Minn.
- Daniel Elmer, Wells, Minn.
- Aimee Fisher, Montgomery, Minn.
- Jessy Gouchenour, Mondamin, Iowa.
- Eric Habbe, Rapid City, S.D.
- Carolyn Johnson, Goodhue, Minn.
- Madeline Moore, Faribault, Minn.
- Ana-Marie Nelson, Miller, S.D.
- David Olson, Winsted, Minn.
- Ethan Pauley, Vale, S.D.
- Bradie Schulz, Hastings, Neb.
- Kayla Seeger, Milford, Iowa.
- Elise Sperling, Moorhead, Minn.
- Matthew Stoffel, Sherburn, Minn.
- Kayla Swee, Albert Lea, Minn.
- Alexis Vana, Omaha, Neb.
- Kristin Waltner, Freeman, S.D.
- Natasha Wegner, Faribault, Minn.
Assistant Professor of Music and Conductor of the Collegiate Chorale Dr. Russell Svenningsen will be the keynote speaker this year. During the 2012-13 academic year, Svenningsen was the recipient of the Augustana Student Association (ASA) Faculty Recognition Award. The award recognizes outstanding teaching and contributions to the Augustana community by a faculty member.
In addition to conducting the Collegiate Chorale, Svenningsen teaches music theory and has a studio of voice students. An active performer, Svenningsen has appeared as featured soloist with orchestras and opera companies both locally and around the world. Recent performances include: presentations of Schubert’s song cycle "Winterreise"; performances with the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra; and appearances with Sounds of South Dakota, a local opera company. He is planning a recital for the fall of 2013 featuring the music of Roger Quilter, Samuel Barber and Benjamin Britten’s "Canticle II: Abraham and Isaac."