Jan. 13-28: Theatre Group Takes Shakespeare on the Road
Date: January 12 - January 27, 2014
Location: Pierre, Box Elder, Hill City, Lead, Vermillion and Harrisburg
The Performing and Visual Arts will present Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” in locations throughout South Dakota during the month of January, including Pierre, Box Elder, Hill City, Lead, Vermillion and Harrisburg.
Directed by Dan Workman, performance times and locations are:
- Monday, Jan. 13, at 1:20 p.m.: Riggs High School, Pierre
- Tuesday, Jan. 14, at 1 p.m.: Douglas High School, Box Elder
- Wednesday, Jan. 15, at 12:45 p.m.: Hill City High School, Hill City
Thursday, Jan. 16, at 7 p.m.: Historic Homestake Opera House, Lead
- Tickets are $15 for adults, $9 for kids 12 and younger, and free to HHOH members(Basic Level and up). Purchase tickets.
- Monday, Jan. 27, at 1 p.m.: Vermillion High School, Vermillion
Tuesday, Jan. 28, at 7 p.m.: Harrisburg High School, Harrisburg
- Tickets are $5 for adults, $3 for kids; purchase at 605-743-9038.
Join the theatre department as we take you to the world where fairies, nobility and honest laborers meet. Love potions, practical jokes, mistaken identities, mischief, oaths of love and revenge abound in the story as young love confronts and prevails against the odds.
Hermia, not wanting to marry whom her father wants, runs away with her true love, Lysander. Pursued into the forest outside of Athens, they become entangled in a spat between Oberon and Titania, the Fairy King and Queen. Puck, in her efforts to help Oberon, comes upon a group of honest Athenian laborers, there to rehearse a play for the Duke’s wedding, and these poor actors become pawns in the game. It all concludes in a happy ending despite the mishaps and mayhem for “the course of true love never did run smooth.”
Midsummer Night's Dream Dress Rehearsal. Video by Argus Leader.