August 7: Aging Faithfully Conference
Spirituality and well-being
in the second half of life
Featured speaker: Dr. Martin E. Marty
Our lives and faith look different in the second chapter of life. There are new opportunities, and many experiences behind us, too.
You may find yourself asking:
- What is God’s purpose for me in this stage of life?
- What does faithfulness look like now?
- How do I trust Him and have courage as seasons change?
- How can my faith remain vibrant and strong?
- How can I help others who find themselves in this stage of life?
Join us as we bring together some of the best voices across religious traditions to discuss how spirituality and well-being are different in the second half of life and how that can be celebrated in daily living. Whether you are an older adult, you work or care for an older adult, or you are simply interested in the topic, we invite you to take part in this day of reflection and discussion featuring American religion scholar Dr. Martin E. Marty. We invite guests of all faiths.
Aging Faithfully Conference
Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014
Elmen Center of Augustana College
Registration is required.
The Aging Faithfully Conference is sponsored by Augustana College, The South Dakota Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and The Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society.
8-9 a.m. — Registration
9 a.m. — Welcome
9-10 a.m. — Aging that is behind us, by Dr. Martin E. Marty
10-10:30 a.m. — Break
10:30 a.m. – noon — Small group discussion
12 – 1 p.m. — Lunch (provided); Please let us know of special dietary needs.
1-2 p.m. — Aging that is ahead of us, by Dr. Martin E. Marty
2-2:15 p.m. — Break
2:15-3:15 p.m. — Closing remarks
- Hearing assistance will be available.
- Elmen Center is wheelchair accessible.
- Find lodging options.
- For Continuing Education Units (CEUs), call Bill Kubat at 605.362.3130.
- Cancellation and refund will be honored up to 10 days prior to Thursday, Aug. 7.
- A selection of Dr. Marty’s books will be available for purchase.
- View a campus map.
About Dr. Martin E. Marty
Dr. Martin E. Marty is one of the most prominent and articulate scholars of today’s religion and culture. The Nebraska native has written extensively on American religion, with more than 60 published books. He is a historian, writer, editor and professor, serving as a Lutheran pastor, and then teaching at the University of Chicago Divinity School for 35 years. He retired after his 70th birthday and now holds emeritus status at the University of Chicago.
View the brochure with registration form.