Annual Meeting and Church Service at Heritage Park
Date: June 12, 2016
Times: 10:30 a.m. service in Beaver Creek Lutheran Church, followed by noon meeting
Location: Heritage Park and Morrison Commons (on Augustana's campus)
The Nordland Heritage Foundation, the organization dedicated to the preservation and the sharing of the historic buildings in Augustana's Heritage Park, will hold their annual meeting at noon on Sunday, June 12. The public is welcome but reservations were needed for the luncheon.
- Church services will be held before the annual meeting at 10:30 a.m. in the Beaver Creek Lutheran Church in Heritage Park, just west of Our Savior’s Lutheran Church on 33rd Street. The liturgy will follow the old service in the Concordia hymnal. The public is welcome.
- Tours will be given in all four buildings from 2-4 p.m.
About Preacher Rev. David Johnson
Pastor Dave Johnson has served parishes in Fowler, CO, Sioux Falls (East Side and Peace) and Watertown, SD, (Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer). He also served as Lutheran Campus Pastor at the Universities of Kansas and South Dakota. He holds degrees from Augustana University, Luther Seminary and The University of Kansas. He and his wife Glenice have four living children, Greg, Kari, Peter and Erik. Their first nine grandchildren have all graduated from or are presently attending Augustana University.
About Heritage Park
Heritage Park is a collection of historic Great Plains buildings dating from the late 19th to early 20th century.
- The Beaver Creek Lutheran Church is one of the oldest churches established in Lincoln County. It was completed in 1892 in LaValley Township east of Sioux Falls. The architectural style is Vernacular Gothic Revival, which attempts to combine European attributes with the prairie experience. The church is made almost entirely of wood, the main building material available on the prairie at the time. As the rural population declined, the church's congregation voted to close its doors in 1978. It was then offered to Augustana and was moved to its present location in Heritage Park in 1985.
- The Berdahl-Rolvaag House was named for the Berdahl family who built it and for author Ole Rolvaag, whose novels "Giants in the Earth," "Peder Victorious," and "Their Fathers' God" tell the stories of Norwegian immigrants who came to the area in the 1870s. Rolvaag, a 1901 graduate of the Augustana Academy in Canton, married Jennie Berdahl while she was living in this house with her parents. The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Eggers School House is an example of early South Dakota educational facilities. The school was built in 1909 on an acre of land near Renner Corner. After serving as the daily social gathering place for an average of 15 students for nearly 50 years, only four children were enrolled in 1957. The school eventually closed and was purchased and preserved by James Wehde, a former student at the school.
- The Rolvaag Writing Cabin, in which the best-selling "Giants in the Earth," called a "moving narrative of pioneer hardship and heroism," by Atlantic Monthly, was written between September and October 1923, was a gift from the Rolvaag family. It was moved from its original home in northern Minnesota with help and planning from the U.S. Forest Service.
Heritage Park is located south of 33rd Street between Grange and Prairie Avenue.