Artists of the Plains Art Show and Sale
Date: February 15 - February 17, 2019
Times: Friday: 5-9 p.m.; Saturday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Location: Hilton Garden Inn, 201 E. 8th Street, in downtown Sioux Falls
Ticket Info: Free and open to the public.
The 39th annual Artists of the Plains Art Show & Sale will be February 15-17 at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Sioux Falls. This event is sponsored by the Center for Western Studies at Augustana University and will feature artwork from more than 30 local and regional artists, including Augustana University students.
The event is free and open to the public. Artists' work will be on display and for sale. Art show attendees will enjoy free underground parking.
This one-of-a-kind show provides a wonderful opportunity for the public to meet one-on-one with area artists and discuss their work, including both popular, well-established artists and remarkable up-and-coming artists you'll be hearing about for years to come.
Artists invited to the 2019 show work in many different media — oil, acrylic, watercolor, 2-D/3-D mixed media, sculpture, jewelry, pottery, and photography — and works will be available for sale at a variety of price points. There is something for everyone at the Artists of the Plains Art Show and Sale.
- Friday, Feb. 15: 5-9 p.m. (premiere showing and reception; awards ceremony will begin at 8 p.m.)
- Saturday, Feb. 16: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Sunday, Feb 17: 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
The Center for Western Studies offers cash awards in the following categories: Two-Dimensional Best of Show ($200 first place and $100 second place) and Three-Dimensional Best of Show ($200 first place and $100 second place).
Artists who have been invited:
- Mark Anderson, Sioux Falls, SD
- Arnold Bortnem, Sioux Falls, SD
- Bryan Bortnem, Rutland, SD
- Bonnie Brahms, Humboldt, SD
- Virginia Coudron, Brookings, SD
- Susan Drey, Rapid City, SD
- Russ Duerksen, Sioux Falls, SD
- Rodger Ellingson, Sioux Falls, SD
- Jess Elofson, Brandon, SD
- Jerry Fogg, Sioux Falls, SD
- Connie Gisi, Webster, SD
- Diana Hensley, Luverne, MN
- Sonja Hernandez, Sioux Falls, SD
- David Huebner, Bushnell, SD
- Tiffany Jolitz, Pipestone, MN
- Daron W. Krueger, Sioux Falls, SD
- Mark Levsen, Webster, SD
- Cheryl Longseth, Sioux Falls, SD
- Carol Lundeen, Dassel, MN
- Donald F. Montileaux, Rapid City, SD
- Safet Musinovic, Sioux Falls, SD
- James Pollock, Pierre, SD
- Cristen J. Roghair, Okaton, SD
- Jackie Sevier, Seneca, NE
- Linda Szabo, Mission, SD
- Paul Szabo, Mission, SD
- Judy Thompson, Orange City, IA
- Nan Venhuizen, Sioux Falls, SD
- Sharon Welch, Pierre, SD
- Jennifer White, Sioux Falls, SD
- Bob York, Sturgis, SD
In addition to these artists, a number of Augustana University art students will be exhibiting and selling their work.
As a signature program of the Center for Western Studies, this show and sale is designed to educate the public about the cultural importance and variety of regional art and artists. The largest and longest running show if its kind in the region, Artists of the Plains is an annual highlight of the Center’s Art Program and Educational Exhibits, one of several programming areas supported by the National Endowment for the Humanities. The event is a gift to the artists and collectors of the Northern Plains.