Gallery Exhibit to Feature Andy Warhol Prints
Date: February 11 - March 5, 2016
Times: Join us for a gallery reception and curators' talk from 7-9 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 12.
Location: The Eide/Dalrymple Gallery is in the Center for Visual Arts on Commons Circle off 30th Street and Grange Avenue.
Ticket Info: Free and open to the public.
For the first time, Augustana's Eide/Dalrymple Gallery will exhibit prints by the iconic American artist Andy Warhol as part of its “Highlights from the Permanent Collection” exhibition, on display Feb. 11 through March 5.
A gallery reception and curators' talk is set for 7-9 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 12.
The exhibit and the reception are free and open to the public.
The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts donated eight screen prints and one lithograph to the Carl Grupp Permanent Art Collection of the Eide/Dalrymple Gallery at Augustana University. The prints join 154 Warhol photographs that were donated by the Warhol Foundation in 2008 as a part of its Andy Warhol Photographic Legacies Program.
"On view with the works by Warhol will be a selection of Modernist artworks that will put into context how Warhol’s Pop Art relates to other artistic movements of the twentieth century," said Dr. Lindsay Twa, director of the Eide/Dalrymple Gallery. "Drawn from works in the Carl Grupp Permanent Art Collection, viewers will be able to experience a wide selection of paintings, photographs and prints from the famous abstract expressionist Robert Motherwell, to architect Le Corbusier, to regionally famous artists, including Carl Grupp and Lloyd Menard."
This exhibition was co-curated by Augustana University students as a part of an upper-level seminar on American art created after 1945. Students selected works, researched the objects, and wrote labels and catalogue text. Some of the students will give docent talks as a part of the exhibition reception. The student curators include:
- Alessandra Abel, a freshman art major from Kingston, Jamaica
- Ana Fabiola Cabrera Hernandez, a visiting student from Mexico City
- Kaitlin Carlon, a senior government and international affairs major with religion and psychology minors, from Council Bluffs, Iowa
- Wyatt Dickson, a sophomore art major from Sioux Falls
- Emily Englund, a senior University of Sioux Falls art major from Kearney, Nebraska
- Ryan Harrington, a junior economics major from Duluth, Minnesota
- Ella Ng, a junior art major with French minor from Hong Kong
- Katie Retterath, a senior art and English major from Rosemount, Minnesota
- Evan Richards, a junior interdepartmental studies major from Le Mars, Iowa
The Eide/Dalrymple Gallery is located on Commons Circle (30th Street and Grange Avenue), in the Center for Visual Arts at Augustana University. The gallery is open to the public and free of charge. Hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 1-4 p.m. on Saturday. Closed Sundays.