Home -> Human Resources->Current Employees->Employee Handbook->Alcohol/Drug Related Problems

Alcohol/Drug Related Problems

Drug abuse, misuse and dependency is a universal concern. The Congress and the President of the United States legislated The Drug Free Schools and Communities Act Amendment of 1989 Policy (Public Law 101-226) to address this societal ill. This law requires all colleges, schools and communities to have programs and policies to educate persons about the intelligent use of alcohol and to eliminate illicit drug use.

If you have a problem with alcohol or drugs, you may discuss it with your administrator or go directly to the Human Resources Department for help in getting treatment. All your discussions with the Human Resources Department will be kept strictly confidential, unless you request otherwise.

If an administrator suspects an alcohol or drug-related problem and feels it is affecting an employee's job performance, he or she may talk to the Human Resources Department to determine a course of action.

If a supervisor thinks an employee has a drug problem, a medical examination may be requested. Refusal of an examination may be ground for termination. If a doctor determines an employee is misusing drugs, he or she may be given a choice of participating in an outside rehabilitation program or leaving the College.

For the purpose of definition here, "drug" means any controlled drug or substance. Therefore, any employee illegally passing or selling drugs on the College premises will be released immediately and, if appropriate, a report will be made to law enforcement agencies.

At the same time, if the alcohol or drug problem is resulting in unsatisfactory job performance, the administrator may begin corrective action to deal with this issue. Alcoholism and drug abuse counseling is designed to help overcome the employee's problem, but it is not a substitute for resolving job problems.

Treatment for alcoholism will vary from person to person depending on what seems best for each individual. The Human Resources Department may recommend treatment through an outside source. The employee does not have to accept the recommended treatment or counseling as a condition of continued employment, but the help is there if you need it.

Support and Resources:

Human Resources 274-4110
HELP!line 211


• Cocaine Help Line 1-800-COCAINE
• Narcotics Anonymous 1-800-451-3000
• National Institute on Drug Abuse 1-800-662-HELP
• Parent Institute for Drug Education 1-800-241-7946
• U.S. Department of Education 1-800-624-0100