Use of Office Phones
Phone Basics - Use of Office Phones
8 is the NEW 9!!
All off-campus calls must now begin with 8 instead of using 9 with the previous phone system.
911 is simply 911, you no longer need to dial a prefix to get the 911 operator.
If your phone is not yet active, you can activate it with your number by typing **123####, where #### is your phone extension. If this does not activate the phone, please call the Helpdesk (x5331).
Your default voicemail login is the same as your Augustana username (e.g., jsmithee). Your initial voicemail password is: 1111. There is additional information available on use of voicemail.
Quick Reference Guides
Following is a list of Quick Reference Guides for the common phone models installed. View the model # of your phone at the top of the unit.
Phone-Computer Sharing of the Power Over Ethernet (POE) Line:
- Each Phone requires a dedicated POE Ethernet line. If there is not an available Ethernet (today, it's likely going to your computer) available, ITS will have to run a NEW line.
- The computers then can be patched into the phones — so we don't have to run additional Ethernet lines.
- The computers and phones have nothing to do with one another — it's the Ethernet line we are sharing.
- The cost of running additional Ethernet lines versus sharing existing lines would have exceeded $250,000 and required significant disruption of offices to accomplish. Sharing the existing line is the right thing to do.
Caller ID information for calls on and off campus will display on the top of your Mitel phone display. Notes on Caller ID:
- If an off campus caller is using "caller ID blocking", you will see "T1030 Calling" (where 030 will vary).
- Transfers from on campus phones will display the local number doing the transfer until they release the call, then you will see the outside caller ID information.
- Calls to off campus land lines generally display your number and "Augustana SD".
- Calls to cell phones generally display just your number (the name and pictures seen on cell phones are from your cell's phone book, not the phone system.
Analog Line — Continued Use for Devices
FAX and Credit Card machines are staying on their traditional analog lines.
1. Place the call on hold by pressing the transfer/conference button.
2. Dial the number to transfer to.
3. Either wait for the party to answer and hang up or hang up immediately.
1. Press the blue menu button
2. Press the button adjacent to Call Forwarding
3. Enter the number you wish to which you want to forward calls; this can be an off campus number (include the 8)
Your phone should return to your main home screen and your line lights should show green.
To turn off call forwarding:
- Press the blue menu button
- Press the button adjacent to Call Forwarding
- Press the button adjacent to Deactivate
Your phone should return you to your main home screen and your line lights should no longer show green.
Press the button adjacent to DND (Do Not Disturb) on your main home screen. That button should then show orange.
Press it again to remove direct to voice mail (button should no longer show orange).
If you are in a pickup group and another phone is ringing pick up your own receiver and hit the button on your screen adjacent to Pickup.
- With the first caller on the line press the transfer/conference button and dial the second person's number
- When the second person answers you will have a Join button on your phone screen; press this button to create a three-way conference call
- You can use the Split button to split the call into two separate ones
- To add a 4th caller repeat the process; you cannot split a 4 (or more) call
- You can have up to 6 people (including yourself) on a single call using this method
To adjust the “Ringer Pitch” on your phone, you first need to program a “Superkey”
On the phone:
- Push the blue Menu button
- Push Settings
- Push Programmable Keys
- Choose a blank key to program
- Scroll through the list until you see Superkey - push that button
- Push Save
Now you can program the ring on the phone
- Make sure you are in the default screen. You may need to close or exit to get there
- Push the Superkey button you just programmed
- At the top of the screen you will see a function. Like Phonebook or Call Forwarding. Push the No button until you see Ringer Adjust
- Press the Ring Adjust button
- Push the Ringer Pitch button
- Now use the up and down buttons on the phone to move through the ring options. The phone will play the options as you do this.
- When you get to the one you want – push the Superkey button again.
- If the Superkey is taking up space you would like to use for other functions, you can delete it
To delete the Super key
- Make sure you are at the main phone screen –press close or exit until you are there.
- Press the blue Menu key
- Press Settings
- Press Programmable Keys
- Press the key you want to delete – clear
- Press the Clear key
- Press Close. You may need to press close several times to get back to the default phone screen.