Augustana University, a university of Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, offers to students of varying backgrounds, interests and ages, a unique opportunity to achieve academic excellence and individual development in a Christian context with its supportive community atmosphere. Augustana assists students to prepare for a life of career, service and continuing enrichment by blending the broad learning experiences of the liberal arts with the student’s individual professional goals and in relating Christian faith to learning. The University serves the region and the larger society primarily through its undergraduate programs and through other programs designed to meet special community needs.
Through the ESS department (Exercise and Sport Sciences), we offer students a degree in Athletic Training. Our Athletic Training curriculum prepares students to become eligible to sit for the Board of Certification (BOC) examination to become a Certified Athletic Trainer. Our curriculum design is structured to provide a challenging and progressive sequence of didactic course work combined with clinical education experiences that include all the domains of Athletic Training as defined by the BOC Role Delineation Study (sixth edition) and the NATA Athletic Training Education Competencies (fifth edition).
The following comprises the foundation of our didactic and clinical education program and plays a major role in the preparation and evaluation of the entry-level athletic trainer:
· Injury / illness prevention and wellness protection. Educating participants and managing risk for safe performance and function.
· Clinical evaluation and diagnosis. Implementing standard evaluation techniques and formulating a clinical impression for the determination of a course of action.
· Immediate and emergency care. Employing standard procedures and communication outcomes for efficient and appropriate care of the injured.
· Treatment and rehabilitation. Reconditioning participants for optimal performance and function.
· Organizational and professional health and well-being. Understanding and adhering to approved organizational and professional practices and guidelines to ensure individual and organizational well-being.
It is the mission of our program to prepare our graduates to become qualified health care professionals educated and competent in the management of health care issues associated with physically active patients.