Augustana Participating in International Education Week
SIOUX FALLS – Augustana joins colleges and universities throughout the US in observing International Education Week (IEW) November 16-20.
IEW is co-sponsored by the U.S. Departments of Education and State, and is designed to be a celebration of international educational exchange. This year, more than 130 Augustana students will be traveling to 25 countries and seven continents. One student will spend J-term (January Interim) studying in Antarctica.
“We are fortunate at Augustana to have many international opportunities both on campus and abroad,” says Ben Iverson, Associate Director of International Programs. “So, we have scheduled events each day in celebration of IEW.”
Hannah Jorgensen, a junior from Tyler, MN, an intern with Augustana’s International Programs, assisted with arranging the following campus activities.
International Education Week Activities:
Monday, November 16
- A contest to “name that flag” will be held in the Morrison Commons concourse all day with an opportunity to win movie tickets. From 4:30-6:30 p.m. in the Morrison Commons Beloit Room, students are encouraged to share their study abroad experiences for a YouTube video.
- As a salute to Greece, chicken and beef Gyro’s will be offered for dinner in the Morrison Commons.
Tuesday, November 17
- Beginning at 10:00 a.m., a Study in Norway session will be held in the Morrison Commons Siverson Lounge. Donn Grinanger, Director of International Programs at Augustana, will be joined by representatives from Hedmark University College in Norway to discuss study abroad opportunities in Norway.
- From 10:00-11:30 a.m. in the Morrison Commons concourse, Amy Spaulding from Lutheran Social Services will be available to talk with students about volunteer opportunities with diverse populations in Sioux Falls.
- From 4:00-5:00 p.m. in the Morrison Commons Back Alley, free salsa dancing lessons will be given by Lisa from Dance Ballroom and Studio in Sioux Falls.
- Lunch in the Morrison Commons will feature Latin America and beef enchiladas.
Wednesday, November 18
- Augustana professors will be available in the Morrison Commons Ordal Dining Room from 5:30-7:00 p.m. to discuss January Interim and Spring Break study abroad courses offered this year and next year.
Thursday, November 19
- Beginning at 10:00 a.m. in the Morrison Commons Siverson Lounge, a study abroad inquiry session will address all aspects of the program.
- A Global Issues Forum will begin at 6:00 p.m. in the Morrison Commons Halverson Room. Phil Mulder will talk about his study abroad experience in China. His presentation is titled “China’s Coming out Party: Beijing and the 2008 Olympics.”
- Representing Asia, chicken stir fried rice will be offered for lunch in the Morrison Commons.
Friday, November 20
- From 3:00-4:00 p.m. an open house will be held at Augustana’s new International Programs Office at Global Education House (corner of 28th Street and Norton Avenue).
- Latin America will again be represented with a taco bar offered at lunch in the Morrison Commons.
Director, News Information