3 p.m. (CST) FRIDAY UPDATE: Egyptian Tour Status
As fellow parents, we know how concerned you are. This message is to update you regarding the circumstances in Egypt.
- As you know, due to intensifying anti-government protests in Cairo, we made the decision to move our student members of the Augustana Band to a different hotel – far away from known areas of protest – and also canceled a concert that was scheduled for Friday evening.
- Despite the cell phone and Internet challenges, we’ve been in regular communication with our tour coordinators throughout the day today via land line telephone. They report that all students are safe and secure. They also report that the area around the hotel is calm and quiet.
- Students are scheduled to arrive in Minneapolis on Sunday. At Augustana, our focus is to monitor the return flight arrangements. We’re making every effort to ensure that, if necessary, students are prepared to leave with short notice, or in the case of a delay, to remain in their safe surroundings until flights can depart.
- There have been reports that Delta has cancelled flights out of Cairo. As of Friday afternoon, Delta’s KLM flight to Amsterdam is still scheduled to depart Saturday afternoon (CST), however the scheduled departure of Delta’s flight No. 85 from Cairo to New York remains uncertain. The reality is, the flight may be delayed. In that case, students will remain in the safe confines of their hotel until flights are rescheduled.
- U.S. Sen. John Thune has contacted us to offer his assistance, if necessary. We remain in close contact with Sen. Thune’s office, as well as the U.S. State Department and U.S. Embassy and also with Egyptian tourism officials through our tour contractor.
- We are committed to providing you with updates as soon as they become known to us. We will post updates to our website (www.augie.edu) as they develop throughout the weekend.
If you have questions or need additional information throughout the weekend, please contact Augustana Campus Safety at 605.274.4014.
Director of Communications & Media Relations