Textbook Rental Program Coming to Augustana Bookstore
Augustana College today announced that beginning in June, the Augustana College Bookstore will give students a new lease on their sometimes budget-focused, hectic lives by offering a new, multi-channel textbook rental program designed to deliver maximum savings and convenience.
This innovative textbook rental program will allow students to rent select textbooks for less than 50 percent of the cost of purchasing a new printed textbook. Plus, as an added convenience, students will be able to rent their books either in the store or from the store’s website, www.augiebookstore.com.
At a recent meeting of student government officers, the Augustana Student Association (ASA) voted unanimously to offer a textbook rental program.
“Every college student lives on a budget. Leasing textbooks is an exceptional cost-saving opportunity for students,” said Joel Thompson, class of 2011 and president of the Augustana Student Association. “Students will be able to rent textbooks for less than 50 percent of the cost of purchasing a new book – that will free up money for other important college-related costs, such as meal plans or parking permits.”
“We are committed to providing students with the widest range of content options and price points available,” said Ann Fraley, vice president at Barnes & Noble. “Whether students are interested in new books, used, digital, unbundled, or now rentals, they know they can find what they want at the Augustana College Bookstore.”
Other program features include:
- Students can pay the rental fees using any form of tender currently accepted by the bookstore (excluding PayPal). Note: For security purposes, a valid credit card must also be provided regardless of the tender used for the rental fee.
- Students can highlight or mark the rented books just as they would if they purchased a book and planned to sell it back to the bookstore.
- Students can convert their rental to a purchase during the first two weeks of class.
- The rental period is for the duration of the term/semester. Books are due back by the last day of finals. Students can return books in person or mail them to the bookstore.
- Courtesy emails will go out as the end of the term/semester approaches reminding students to return their books. Books not returned (or returned in unusable condition) will be subject to replacement and processing fees.
Beginning in fall 2010, more than 300 college and university bookstores began offering textbook rental programs through the campus bookstore. In a follow up survey more than 90 percent of the students said they would rent from the bookstore again.
Watch for more details about the rental program in the coming weeks. For more information about the Augustana College Bookstore, visit www.augiebookstore.com.
Director of Communications & Media Relations