Luxembourg Ambassador to Visit Campus
Jean-Louis Wolzfeld, Luxembourg's ambassador to the United States, will address Augustana students at the annual Government Department banquet on Thursday, May 1. He was invited by Dr. Joseph Dondelinger, professor and chair of government and international affairs/political science. In 1980, Dondelinger was a colleague of Ambassador Wolzfeld's when they both served as members of the Luxembourg delegation to the United Nations.
During his career, Ambassador Wolzfeld has served as Luxembourg's representative to various international entities including:
- Luxembourg representative to international organizations in Geneva, Switzerland (1981-1986)
- Ambassador to Japan (1987-1990)
- Luxembourg's Permanent Representative to the United Nations in New York (1993-1998)
- Director of Political Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Luxembourg (1998-2002)
- Ambassador to Great Britain (2002-2007)
- Ambassador to Italy
- Ambassador to the United States (current role)
While on campus, Ambassador Wolzfeld will meet with Augustana President Rob Oliver. The meeting will carry a special meaning: Oliver's grandfather, WWII US 5th Armored Division Commanding General Lunsford Oliver, led the troops that liberated Luxembourg City on Sept. 10, 1944, and Dr. Dondelinger's hometown of Ettelbruck on Sept. 11, 1944.