Class of 2017: 99% Job Placement
According to a new report, 99 percent of recent Augustana grads seeking employment are employed in a position related to their major or chosen field.
Employment data, as well as other post-graduation activities and destinations for members of the Augustana Class of 2017 (graduates who completed bachelor’s degrees between July 1, 2016, and June 30, 2017), is detailed in the Outcomes Report, published by the Augustana Student Success Center.
Key Statistics About the Augustana Class of 2017
- 99 percent of 2017 Augustana grads seeking employment are employed in a position related to their major or chosen field.
- 22 percent are pursuing grad school and/or continuing education.
- Grads are working in 21 states and six countries around the world. Among those who secured employment and reported their geographical location, 59 percent are working in South Dakota and 53 percent are employed in the Sioux Falls region.
- Top occupational classifications for 2017 grads include:
- Health care and technical
- Business, professional and financial
- Computer, math and management
- Arts, design and entertainment
- The mean salary reported by 2017 AU grads was $44,804.
- While at Augustana, 99 percent of grads participated in key engaged learning opportunities, such as experiential learning, internships, co-curricular activities, volunteerism, undergraduate research, clinicals, student teaching, study abroad and more.
Augustana President Stephanie Herseth Sandlin said the outcome results illustrate that "Augustana University graduates continue to be well equipped to succeed in today’s rapidly changing marketplace."
"In the classroom, our students are learning from Augustana’s renowned professors, building a foundation of knowledge and acquiring vital 21st century skills such as the ability to think critically, communicate effectively and act with a global perspective.
"Outside the classroom, they’re earning hands-on experience through internships, student teaching, undergraduate research, clinical work, volunteerism, study abroad and more. That knowledge and experience, combined with the connections our students build throughout their time at Augustana, paves the way for not only their first job after graduation, but for a lifetime of career opportunities."
— Stephanie Herseth Sandlin
Augustana University President
“In announcing these outcomes, we give thanks to our outstanding faculty, administrators and staff for the instruction, guidance and support they provide our students, and for the work they do to build and nurture strategic partnerships with area businesses and organizations — partnerships that create not only opportunities for our students, but also provide valuable intellectual capital and labor market support to the state of South Dakota, the city of Sioux Falls and the region," Herseth Sandlin said.
The Augustana Experience
In addition to employment and grad school placement details, the Outcomes Report also captures key data points that illustrate how satisfied members of the Class of 2017 were with their Augustana experience.
For the following reasons, 2017 AU grads reported that they launched their careers and post-graduate study with confidence and enthusiasm:
- 98 percent of 2017 grads agreed that they received a solid education from Augustana
- 99 percent agreed there was a faculty or staff member at Augustana who cared about them as a person
- 99 percent agreed that Augustana is passionate about the long-term success of its students
Read the full Outcomes Report.
Director of Media Relations