Faculty Promotions and Tenure Announced
The Augustana Board of Trustees approved six faculty members for promotions and/or tenure at its December meeting.
“I congratulate our faculty members on their achievements,” said Colin Irvine, senior vice president for Academic Affairs. “Our Board of Trustees has recognized their excellence in teaching, scholarship and service. I thank them for their contribution to our community.”
Promoted to Professor
- Dr. Paul Egland (Biology) holds his B.A. in Biology from Luther College in Decorah, Iowa and his Ph.D. in Microbiology from the University of Iowa. He serves as the Chief Health Professions Advisor and as the contact person for pre-medical and pre-dental student advising. Currently on a year-long sabbatical, Dr. Egland is able to focus on his primary research interest in the study of bacterial communities, the subject of numerous publications he has authored and co-authored.
- Dr. Mark Larson (Biology) received his B.A. in Biology and Chemistry from Concordia College, Moorhead, Minnesota. He received his Ph. D. in Pharmacology from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina. He coordinates Augustana’s Biomedical Research Infrastructure Network (BRIN) grant. He is currently the chair of the Research and Scholarly Activities committee, which administers internal grants for research and travel awards to faculty and students. He also chairs the SOPHIA general education committee and also chair of the department of biology.
- Dr. David O’Hara (Philosophy) is a graduate of Middlebury College (B.A., Spanish), Middlebury, Vermont; St John's College (M.A., Liberal Arts), Santa Fe, New Mexico; and Pennsylvania State University (M.A., Ph.D., Philosophy). He is beginning his second term as Chair of the Religion, Philosophy and Classics Department and his first year as Augustana’s director of sustainability, a position that speaks to his passion for environmental stewardship. He has been awarded the Niebuhr Faculty Excellence Award and the ASA Faculty Recognition Award during his time at Augustana.
Promoted to Associate Professor and Granted Tenure
- Dr. Karla Abbott (Nursing) holds her B.S.N. from Michigan State University, her master's in nursing from Augustana, and her DNP from Augsburg College, Minneapolis, Minnesota. An enrolled member of the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe, Karla is involved in research that preserves the health of Native Americans and increases Native American participation in the STEM fields. Karla is faculty advisor to the Augustana Nursing Student Association (ANSA).
- Dr. Shane Scholten (Exercise and Sport Sciences) earned his Ph.D. in Nutrition and Exercise Science from South Dakota State University. He served as interim department chair and currently serves as an elected member of the Co-Curriculum Council. Shane was very involved in the development of the Sports and Leadership Master’s program.
- Dr. Daniel Workman (Theatre) has a B.F.A. in theatre performance from Tarkio College and an M.F.A. in theatre direction from the University of South Dakota. He has taught at Morningside College and the University of South Dakota. Dan is also the artistic director of the Black Hills Playhouse, a professional summer-stock theatre in Custer State Park.
Public Relations and Communications Strategist