Foreign Language Placement Exam
As a college committed to the liberal arts, demonstrating proficiency in a language other than English is an important component of Augustana’s core curriculum. Augustana students complete two semesters of foreign language study or demonstrate equivalent proficiency through a placement exam, CLEP test, or previous college credit. We ask that you complete the online placement exam prior to attending your New Student Registration session UNLESS you have met one of the following requirements:
- Have taken a language other than Spanish, French, Latin, or German in high school.
- Have successfully completed college level language courses and will present a college transcript.
- Plan to or have taken a CLEP exam in your chosen foreign language.
- Plan to take a different language at Augustana than you have taken in high school.
- Have not taken any foreign language courses in high school.
*For students who have taken Latin, special instructions are listed below.
**For students who have taken American Sign Language, placement exams will be offered in person on Friday, June 16 and Thursday, June 22.. It is recommended that students have successfully completed at least one year of ASL. Please contact Madeleine Ellis at email@example.com or 605.274.5519 to schedule a test.
Please take the placement exam within one week of submitting your pre-registration form. Space availability in language courses is limited.
The placement exam will take approximately 20 minutes to complete and can be accessed from any computer with internet access. Please do not use any aids such as a dictionary as that will skew your score and may cause incorrect course placement. Your score, as well as your placement, will show up immediately after you complete the exam. Our Registrar will use your results to place you into the appropriate class. If you have questions or concerns about your placement, they can be discussed with your advisor during your registration session. The exam covers all language levels so you may not be able to answer all of the questions, regardless of years of foreign language study. Attempt the exam only once as that is the score that will be used.
Steps for completing the exam in Spanish, French, or German:
- Access the online foreign language placement exam
- The password is: augie1
- Select the language you want to test in
- Enter your Augustana student ID number
- Follow the instructions and click FINISH when you have completed the exam
If you experience any problems while taking the exam, please contact Joni Krueger, Registrar, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Steps for completing the exam in Latin:
- Access Moodle
- Enter your Username and Password
- Click 'Site home' in the navigation block
- Click the 'Getting Started with Moodle' category link
- Click the 'Latin' link and use the enrollment key 'latintest' to enroll in the course
- Read the instructions and click the 'Latin Placement Exam' link
- Click 'Attempt Quiz Now'
- Answer all questions and click 'Submit all and finish'
If you have any technical questions, contact the Instructional Technologist, Sharon Gray, at email@example.com or 605-670-0185.