Financial Support for Experiential Learning
Driven by our desire to invest in students’ development, Augustana provides funding to support experiential learning. Whether it is housing or funding for a faculty-mentored research position, each year students have access to nearly a quarter of $1 million dollars in funds to support hands-on learning. The following are only a few examples.
- Augustana Undergraduate Research and Artist Funds are available to cover the travel expenses of students who are mentored by faculty and present at conferences. Amounts vary.
- Center for Western Studies Internship Program: Students who are interested in history and culture benefit from the opportunity to assist with archives, editing, special events, and marketing - all while they earn an hourly wage for their work.
- Civitas Honors Program: A maximum amount of $1,000 is available to cover expenses associated with food, travel, lodging or research.
- Camp Scholarship: In recognition of their service, continuing students who work as camp counselors (and other camp related positions) in a Lutheran camp for at least six weeks during the summer are eligible for this aid. Amount: $500 | Apply online.
- Don & Janelle Carlson Scholarship: Designed to promote “learning for life,” these funds permit upper-class students who earned a 3.0 to participate in off-campus internships that are a part of or resemble the Higher Education Consortium for Urban Affairs (HECUA). Amount: $500 - $1,500
- First Premier Experiential Scholarship: To encourage higher education in the fields of business, finance, and marketing, First Premier offers up to $1,000 to selected students who are hired for part-time positions at the bank. Funds are renewable over a four-year period and matched by Augustana with preference given to freshmen and sophomore students. Contact the Success Center to learn how to apply.
- Grant Funded Research Positions: Our distinguished faculty secure nationally recognized grants, many of which permit students to participate in premier, paid research opportunities.
- Knight Internship Fund: Established by alumni, these funds support internships for students who choose to work outside Sioux Falls and incur additional expenses related to housing and travel. Learn more about the application process. Amount: Up to $2,000
- Study Abroad & Off Campus Study Funds: Due to the gifts of several generous donors, Augustana offers funding to support off-campus study. Financial need, academic merit, and first-time travel are considered in the awarding process. Learn more about these scholarships.
- Perry C. Page Memorial Fund: Applications are available to students who travel more than 250 miles from Sioux Falls to complete an internship during the academic year (not available for summer internships). Amount: Up to $2,900
- Washington Lutheran Semester: Located in Washington, D.C., this robust semester includes living and working in Washington D.C. for a semester. A travel stipend is available and Augustana allows students to use their financial aid to assist with costs.
Community and State Resources
In addition to these funds, the state of South Dakota and the community of Sioux Falls is eager to enhance your educational experience.
- Dakota Seeds: Funded by the Governor’s Office of Economic Development, this program provides up to $2,000 per intern.