Go Viking: Fall 2015
a message from president rob oliver
I’d like to take this opportunity to make a bold proclamation: I believe there’s never been a more exciting time at Augustana. Here’s why: Today we are Augustana University. Our name change from “college” to “university” has followed nearly two years of analysis and strategic planning, investments in academic programming, the introduction of new centers for undergraduate and graduate students, and significant physical growth on campus.
View the Digital Issue
Over this time, we spent a great deal of time thinking about how to take the Augustana experience to the next level – to inspire undergraduate and graduate students from around the world, to serve the needs of a changing society and a growing city, and to continue producing graduates who not only have the skills necessary to build meaningful careers, but who will go on to live lives of purpose and service.
As we studied economic and industry trends, and analyzed information gathered from faculty, staff, alumni, students, parents, community members and business leaders, it became obvious that in order to serve the needs of today’s students and meet the demands of a workforce hungry for entrepreneurial and thoughtful professionals, we needed to invest in change, in growth, and in our ability to serve others.
The name Augustana University is an illustration of that investment – an effort to complement Augustana’s 155-year-old mission to provide an education of enduring worth that challenges the intellect, fosters integrity, and integrates faith with programs and initiatives designed to serve the needs of 21st century students and the world we call home. Augustana University will offer:
- Innovative enhancements to our undergraduate programming, such as the new First Year Experience, and new majors that relate to the needs of a changing society. We’ve also launched key student resources, such as the Student Success Center – a central location for students to receive academic and career support.
- More graduate and continuing education programs and a commitment to serving the needs of adult learners. In addition to the graduate programs we currently offer, we’re developing new programs that are even more innovative and relevant to society’s needs; programs like our new master’s degree in genetic counseling, built in collaboration with Sanford Imagenetics. When this program launches in 2016, it will be one of only 32 such programs nationwide.
- Augustana’s Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship and our Office of Graduate and Continuing Ed are creating exciting partnerships with leaders in business, health care, technology and the nonprofit sector. These partnerships provide additional opportunities for student internships, research, field work, and additional hands-on learning experiences.
- New facilities, including the Froiland Science Complex under construction on the corner of 33rd St. and Summit Ave. When this project is complete next year, Augustana will be home to the finest and most advanced science and research educational facility in the region. From a state-of-the-art nursing simulation lab to high tech classatories and glass enclosed labs, our students and faculty will have even more resources to explore new advances in scientific and biomedical discovery.
- We’re also planning for a new, 125,000 square foot Student Activities Center on campus. When it’s complete, it will feature the city’s only eight-lane, 200-meter indoor competition track, an expanded fitness center with modern and technologically advanced equipment, new academic spaces, a retail center, a multi-purpose recreational area and new practice spaces.
- Also in 2016, Augustana plans to build a new student apartment complex, modeled after Summit Avenue Apartments, the University’s most sought-after student housing facility. This new building will be located on Summit Avenue just north of the existing complex.
Today, we are Augustana University, the place for possibilities. We’re proud and excited to expand our mission to provide even more students – undergraduates, graduates and lifelong learners – with an education of enduring worth. I encourage you to join us on this journey. Now is your chance to be part of something larger than yourself. Now is your chance to become part of this amazing place – a place where curiosity and discovery; creativity and innovation; challenge, wonder and intuition, together – guided by our dedicated professors and staff – inspires students to pursue worthy objectives, nurtures 21st century skills and abilities, and prepares men and women for meaningful careers and lives of purpose.
At Augustana University, we believe in creating possibilities for all students. That’s why we’re committed to partnering with families, creating tailored financial aid and scholarship packages to ensure the affordability of an Augustana education. We’re very proud to say that here,100 percent of students receive scholarships and financial aid.
I hope to see you on campus soon. Let’s begin exploring the possibilities in your future!
Yours, for Augustana,
Rob Oliver, President